Whew. I thought I would have to turn in my marathon card. After my 20 miler Sunday, 4 toe nails are sprouting a nice purple color. The trail running isn't helping. I'm so proud!

I had them in my first 'thon - the equivalent of the index finger on each foot. I think I bumped up my shoes by half a size, and I haven't had them since. Go figure.

I had two ugly ones after my half last year. With this renaissance of running I'm doing, I just trimmed mine way down last week... my girly toies are now very functional looking.

My toe nails are okay (but I keep them short) but I have a lovely crust of a callous on the tip of my 2nd toe on the left foot. I guess I curl it when I run? because there is constantly this blister/callous there. And much to the joy of my friends and family, I sort of sub consciously pick at it when I'm barefoot. Yum!

Next time you want to do this, just think to yourself...

I love to run, and I know they know that. But they just can't relate to some of the things that come with running. Like this. I shouldn't do this, and I don't mean to be disrespectful when I do - it's kinda second nature. But I should stop.

Then take your foot of the table and resume your Thanksgiving dinner.

I know. I'm an ape. It was pointed out to me while in the car while evacuating last week. But it was bothering me

I know. I'm an ape. It was pointed out to me while in the car while evacuating last week. But it was bothering me In the car? Then just get the cigarette lighter and burn that puppy off. You'll get a new sort of respect from them, I tells ya.

I know just what you mean, though given your "yum" comment, unlike you I don't eat them.

mmmmm, Thats's a keeper!!

Am I the only runner who has no toenail problems at all?

Possibly. I'm sporting one black one on each foot and one callous type thing similar to pfff's.
On the curling your toes thing - the toes on the Marine's right foot have curled under since birth. The pinky toe and ring toe (because I don't know the official names of them) fold under and really look bizarre. One reason he claimed to dislike distance running was that they were very painful after a couple of miles.

No. I have blister problems from time to time on the tips of my second toes, but I've never had a toenail problem that wasn't caused by my clipping them too short.

I'm sportin' a black one myself but I'm not sure why. I didn't even run a half!

Is that like having hammertoes? I don't actually know what those are.... The 2nd toe on the right foot does it sometimes but the one on the left is almost constant. And the only time I had a black nail or lost a toenail related to running it was both of those toes and I think thats why, not the end of the shoe.

I've been "marathon toe" free for about a year now. (and I don't know whether to follow that statement up with a :) or a :( ).