Hi!

Recently (a few months ago) I realized that there was this callus-like thing on the outer part of my left foot. Like the area right under my small toe. It became very thick and began hurting when I ran.
I managed to continue running on it, and was very happy with increasing my mileage despite the pain.

I one day decided to google it and see what it was. I came to the conclusion that it was a corn. (I'm a 16 year old female. Never dealt with this stuff lol). I went to the podiatrist and he scraped off the callus and told me to get better shoes. By the way, I run in Vibram Five Fingers and dread running in anything else. I have a pair of Asics but usually wear them when I bike now.

Around the time when I got the first "corn" checked out, another smaller one was forming about 2 inches away from it. More in the center of the front part of my foot.

I was at a different podiatrist on Friday and she looked at the two and instantly said theyre plantar warts. Not corns.

I was pretty grossed out, but at least now I know what in the world they are.

So here's my problem:
The two plantar warts are horribly tender and I cant even walk on them without limping. They hurt so much.

I little pain never stopped me before, but there is no way I can run on these.

I refuse to go more than 2-3 days in a row without a run, and its going to take a lot longer than 2-3 days.
I was supposed to start training for a 10k, but I dont think thats going to happen now.

I'm ridiculously stressed out and even began crying to my parents about it last night lol.
It feels disgusting and abnormal to not go out for nightly runs and I hate this so much.

Even though Im on summer break, I usually wake up at 6am and go on bike rides.
Do you think that if I bike 10-15 miles daily, Ill be able to somewhat sustain my level of running?
I still consider myself a relatively "new" runner (7-8 months) because I started very slowly and wasnt as consistent as I could or should have been with the kind of zeal I have lol.
I worked hard to get up to 5-6 miles and I dont want these warts to cause me to have to build up all over again. That'll just suck.

Im going back to the foot doctor in 2 weeks. But for now she applied some kind of liquid on it and covered it with tape. Theyre puffy now and more tender. I'm so confused and upset, but at least now I know that I should wash my Vibram Five Fingers more often and avoid puddles after it rains.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, if 10-15 miles of biking isnt enough for right now, I'll up it.
As long as I wont be in awful shape when I start running again.

Thanks.

-Maryam.

hey there,

I don't have an exact answer for you but I can tell you that even if you keep your body in amazing shape, there is nothing like actually doing the activity you are trying to keep in shape for. That being said if it is your only option than do what you can...Don't be too worried about the warts. Stuff like that tends to go away with time and rest and you will forget about it once they are gone. I wish you well and good luck with your training.