So I'm back to running 3-4 times a week (about an hour a session). I've even started to mix in some biking and swimming. The pounds are coming back off....

But once again I'm being plagued with shin splints. My runs are easy....primarily staying in the 60%-70% MHR range.....so half my time is spent walking.

Because I'm not down to my "fighting weight" I have kept to packed dirt and grass so I know it's not because of the surfaces I'm training on. I'm running in a pair of NB 855 that my local run shop recommended.

So I'm wondering if I should go see a foot doctor about getting fitted for orthopedics......
.....or maybe I need a different shoe?

Your thoughts are welcomed.

Bueller.........

Bueller...........

Bueller..........

anyone............

anyone.........

Unless the shoes are nearing the end of their life, I wouldn't think they'd be the source of the problem. If they're comfortable for you to run in, they should be alright. An hour is a pretty good amount to be doing if you're just getting back into it. It may just be too much too soon. (Doesn't everyone just hate saying that?) How level are the surfaces that you're running on? I notice that if I run on surfaces that are too uneven to let me have my natural footstrike and rollover, it hurts kinda like shin splints. It goes away for me almost right away but the terrain is only like that for a few steps out of a 6 mile run. I guess if you're constantly running on bumps, it'd hurt you more than running on asphalt.

Just some ideas, I don't really have much experience with that. All my cases of shin splints were from running in old/crappy shoes on concrete and asphalt (and too much too soon).

Good luck.

I have had the same experience as well.

Well.....as I slipped on my shoes today, a new feeling really seems to be standing out. I feel like both of my feet are "leaning" towards the back outside edge of each heel. Like there are holes or pockects my heels are sliding into. I don't know why I haven't really noticed this before. Maybe I was just ignoring it for some reason. I did replace my shoe laces with Yankz a few days ago. Is this a normal feeling as shoes start to get worn? Could this "feeling" be the culprit? I dunno.................

Jrjo has some good shin splint remedies...you might do a search on here for those words.

My $.02 worth....I'm with MechEng here, and hour seems a little much to jump back into. I think either "too much too soon" (which is easy to do when you mentally know what you used to do and are capable of, etc) or the shoes.

Do you have any idea how many miles are on the shoes (including both running and wearing for casual use)? Thats probably the best indicator (although some people can get 300 miles out of a shoe that another person can get 500 out of, and some brands wear faster than others). I personally am sloppy about keeping running logs and thus keeping track of my shoe mileage but I start getting little aches, my hips or knees or shins.

As for how your feet turn, everyone's feet have their own natural movement, so I don't know if there is anything to that, unless maybe you were getting more support that you aren't now? :shrug:

Another thought is maybe your soft surface, I have trouble with my soleus and sometimes my shins when I run on crushed gravel. Its supposed to be the best surface to run on, yet I think it allows me to move my ankles too much/causes my feet to slip and causes more issues than good ole asphalt or the 'mill. Step it down, or take some days off, ice the delicate shins, think about some new shoes and maybe try an easy short run or two on the treadmill (also a soft surface if its a decent treadmill) and see what happens. Good luck

Stretch the heck out of them! That's what I had to do when I had them and I still have reoccuring problems from time to time. When I do, I just stretch them out a bit more again (I stretch them before I run) in the middle of my run. Rest! I had to take a week off when I had my worst days. Ibuprofin and Ice. I took the ibuprofin for the pain and iced them a lot!

Noley gave great advice...

Also, I'm not knocking your 855's, but they may not be right for you. Shoe experts can only do so much. They analyze your gait, take into consideration how much you run etc...then recommend shoes. 855's may be great for some, but not for you, and unfortunetly, the only way to discover that is to have them fail. (I had that with Asics's 2080's a year ago, nasty Achilles' problems)

I also agree you seem to be doing too much, too soon. Don't be in such a hurry to jump back in.