I’ve been a recreational runner for a while now and I’ve been chosen to become a member of my college’s running team. I’m supposed to participate in sprint competition, but although I have developed my endurance system and I have a pretty good running routine, sprint requires something more. Can you tell me how to plan the sprint strategy?

The fact that you have a good running routine doesn’t mean that you’ll be a good sprinter but you can try. Don’t think that you’ll improve your speed by trying to intensify your training and run sprint every time you train. I suggest you to keep on training as you’ve been doing up to now and talk to your instructor, because you can’t switch from long-distance slow-paced running to sprint for such a short period of time. I think that you have to pay a special attention to your breathing now, because the pattern is not the same for the recreational running and sprint. You should also start going to a gym and do a bit of working out in order to strengthen your muscles.

Doesn't this college team have a coach?

Sprinting has more to do with all out speed, explosiveness, and technique/form. You can run distance and get better over time. You can sprint and lift weights all day and have very little improvement. Either way, hitting the weights should help. You have to know which way of lifting will help you with your explosiveness. Squats are good. Box jumping is good for your starts. For technique, you will want to do high knee runs and butt kick runs. Overexaggerated skipping helps with sprinting technique.