Up to very recently, I was only a recreational runner. I want to start training more seriously. Unfortunately, it’s too late for me to start competing professionally, but why not participate in amateur races. That’s why I’ve decided to start exercising at a race track. I’d like to know what your average lap workout looks like. Do I have to run several laps or what? I don’t know anything about running strategy.

Sometimes I also go to a race track in order to exercise. It feels great to run on a professional track. It’s exhausting though because you have everything marked and you’ll surprise at how short actually is the distance you thought is very long. My average lap workout consists of a thorough warming up. I do the stretches mostly. Warming up is the essential part of preparation and training. Many people don’t pay much attention to it, and that’s how injuries occur. Running with muscles that are not warmed up and that are still stiff can bring about various sprains and dislocated ankles. After I’ve finished warming up, I proceed to running. I suggest you not to insist on the speed until about two weeks before the race.

At what distance do you want to compete?

1 lap around a track is 400meters or 440 yards.

1 mile (1760 yards) is 4 laps around the track.
A 5k (5000 meters) is 12 and a half laps around the track.