Hello. I'm 24 year old female and soon I'm going to be a young mother and I'm thrilled about it. My husband and I were waiting for this moment for a long time. About five months ago I have found out that I'm pregnant. In the meantime I have read almost everything about possible pregnancy symptoms such as morning sickness, nausea and mood swings. So, I'm really prepared for everything but one thing is troubling me the most-fingers on my feet are killing me and I don’t know what to do about this.
My fingers feel like I need to crack my knuckles, but it hurts to even bend them. Just the other day, I couldn’t walk at all. Please tell me did anyone experienced this and is it normal?

Hello. Don’t get me wrong but I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. You see, I'm in my 7th month of pregnancy and about two months ago I also started to suffer from the same problem.
I didn’t contact any doctor over this because I thought that this will resolve by it self but it didn’t.
The pains become unbearable and I had to contact my doctor.
After he examined me he told me that this is normal because of fluid retention in joints and joints loosening induced by all kinds of pregnancy hormones.
Of curse, the fact that you’re carrying a child as an extra weight and pressure to your joints doesn’t help at all. He didn’t suggest me to use any pain killers. So, there is almost nothing you could do about this!

I had those same exact symptoms where it hurts to bend your fingers. It feels like arthritis. Every morning I wake up, I hurts to bend my finger, and it feels like they need to be warmed up before they start feeling better. The bad thing is I just delivered on Oct 30th and I thought by now my syptoms would be gone, but there not. I'm hoping with time it will. When I mentioned it to my OB she said it was normal due to water retention. Lets cross are fingers it will pass. Cause I know it's miserable.

I'm glad I found other people experiencing these issues. I am over 8 months pregnant and so far went from an abnormally healthy individual to someone who now (since concieving) have had all sorts of weird helth issues. My mom suffers from rheumatoid arthritis so when I couldn't bend my hands this morning (or all day now) I freaked! I see/read that it's just an accumulation of fluid and am relieved in knowing it MIGHT go back to normal after delivery :-) Makes sense but hopefully our bodies return to "normal" later!
Thanks for the info girls!

Hi, I'm 38 weeks pregnant and I've had sore finger joints since the 35th week. It's worse when I'm sleeping or just upon waking where in order to grip anything, I have to use both my hands like paws! It's progressed to a stage where in the morning if I try to open my right fist one of my fingers has to be manually lifted, otherwise it sits in a "claw"! The midwife says it's water retention in the joints and will ease once I give birth (here's hoping!). However, I'm getting desperate to find some comfort, so have made an appointment with an acupuncturist to see if anything can be done. Will post any results.

I was also suffering from severe joint paint in my fingers and feet, I'm
6 1/2 months pregnant and decided to look for a natural alternative for the pain. I discovered a website with holistic information that really helped me, it's earthclinic.com I discovered there that taking 2 tablespoons of vinegar and deluding it in a cup of water every day helped me tremendously with the pain.

Hi There,
The comments were very reassuring that I am not alone in the oddness of swollen and painful feet and knuckles. I too thought it was arthritis.

Has anyone tried paraffin waxes? I am not sure if it is safe to do when pregnant... If anyone knows it would be helpful.

Thanks- and best of luck to you all!

I am so relieved to hear that this is normal. I asked my doctor about my sore, itchy knuckles and toes, but I had trouble believing it when he said it was normal. I needed to read something from other women themselves to be sure. There is no doubt that my feet have been swollen and put through a lot, but my fingers just don't seem that swollen, so I find it strange. But the doctor says it is a combination of swelling and the relaxin released by the body. I can't wait until I have my normal hands back!

i to am having sore knuckles upon wakening and sometimes through out the night. good to see that i am not the only one. takes my hands a while to get over it, but they are still so swollen that i can barely make a fist.... especially in the morning.

I am so glad that I am not the only one feeling this. In the morning I can't even make a fist and I can't help my husband carry groceries anymore. Not complaining about that! I found it interesting that in all my studies I didn't find anything about this. Well nothing popped out like everything else. And it wasn't in any of my weekly updates. Thank you ladies for your help with this.

Not much to add except to say that I too have had this problem in my feet and fingers (though not as bad as some here) and it feels like my fingers are constantly bruised and like my joints need cracking even though they don't look swollen. When I woke this morning and could barely move my hands for the pain, I was really worried but having read everyones experiences here I am much happier about it.

So, thanks everyone for posting and putting peoples minds at rest...

I'm glad I found this too. I'm 34 weeks pregnant with twins and thought it might be something but not sure. I'm just hoping I'm getting close because I'm starting to not want to bear the pain. The morning is the worst for me too and I find I wake up in the middle of the night to bend my fingers and move my legs a lot.

I am 39 weeks pregnant and started having painful knuckes about a month ago. I talked to my midewife about it who said that it was due to water retention. She told me to stay away from salty food and to make sure that I was drinking plenty of water. I followed her advice and have found that the pain is much MUCH less when I stick to this. I am drinking about 3L of water a day and steering clear of anything with added salt.

I am 36 weeks now, and this knuckle pain has been progressively getting worse. It's worst at night and in the morning. Good to see that I am not a freak and this seems rather common after reading all the postings. My feet are fine; it's just my fingers that hurt. It hurts to bend them, but my hands are only slightly swollen. I am sure this is water retention, but it sure feels like it might as well be arthritis!!!

I can't bend my fingers in the morning. RHeu. Arthitis runs in my family so I was scared. Glad I am not the only one. I am 40 and in my 36 week