Hey folks,

I fear that I am too thin these days. Background: In about two years I've lost about 55 lbs or so through a combo of WW at first, and then increased running and racing. I'm a pretty tall guy and now find myself hovering just a few pounds above the bottom of the height/weight chart--strange for someone who was way over it for about 15-20 years.

I've been just over the bottom end of the weight chart for a few months, but starting today I'm going to be increasing my weekly mileage and fear that I'll drop more.

I know the easy answer is eat more, but it doesn't seem so easy. I've trained myself to be satisfied with a certain food intake and that's a hard habit to overcome.

So I need suggestions, please. More protein? More frequent smaller meals? Supplements?

PS-I no longer keep to the WW regimen and eat and drink whatever I want, but still I gain little or no weight.

Thanks in advance.

Rex, I think you'll find, with your increased mileage, an increased appetite. I've been exactly where you are, and when I stepped up my exercise, the meals I'd been eating just weren't cutting it. Remember you'll be needing extra fuel for those added miles. You also might find you'll be more apt to gain a few lbs. too. Of the good variety.
Good luck!

Most important question.....how do you feel? If you are feeling good and considering ramping up mileage, i'd guess you feel quite well

second (for the vain), how do you look? Take an honest look. Yes, you've lost alot of weight so you're gonna hear "you're too thin". I'm sure happy and dancer can chime in....but sometimes when you're peaking for a big race, you can 'take on' a lean, hollow face look and people will comment.

Two things I would start doing if possible. (1) Take a morning resting heart rate and watch for big spikes, (2) start monitering your body fat % to make sure that you actually losing fat.

I guess you can start up front with the Kenyans soon!!!!

If you are serious about more calories, there are a couple of tricks.

Drink a slimfast in addition to your regular meals. (One or two a day). They have decent calories, and more importantly good easily digestible vitamins.

You can also make these into good shakes by adding protein powders and full fat ice cream.

One good resource, believe it or not, is a cookbook for cancer patients. Since they have trouble eating--the books will center on how to add good, healthy calories to your day. (Like adding an extra egg to your recipe--things like that).

There are smart calories and not so smart. If you're hitting the bottom of the chart, then you (already know this) need to concentrate on healthy calories that can be used by your body. (Proteins/carbs etc)

Gaining/maintaining weight is a very difficult thing. And if any nutritionist ever tells you "just eat more" walk out of his or her office immediately.

Hey folks, I have an issue that is the complete opposite of Go's in the BTW post about her WW success. I fear that I am too thin these days. Background: In about two years I've lost about 55 lbs or so through a combo of WW at first, and then increased running and racing. I'm a pretty tall guy and now find myself hovering just a few pounds above the bottom of the height/weight chart--strange for someone who was way over it for about 15-20 years. I've been just over the bottom end of the weight chart for a few months, but starting today I'm going to be increasing my weekly mileage and fear that I'll drop more. I know the easy answer is eat more, but it doesn't seem so easy. I've trained myself to be satisfied with a certain food intake and that's a hard habit to overcome. So I need suggestions, please. More protein? More frequent smaller meals? Supplements? PS-I no longer keep to the WW regimen and eat and drink whatever I want, but still I gain little or no weight. Thanks in advance.
Too complicated without a thorough medical history. I will say this. Runners need more protein than bodybuilders, in most cases. Frequent meals are a better idea for athletes. Low carb diets are only for non-athletes, if they're for anyone at all. How much do you weigh? How much have you lost? How many miles per week do you run? How fast did you lose the weight? Is all of that weight loss completely explainable by you? Is there any weight loss unexplained? Have you seen your physician to speak about it? Let us know...