I`ve been mumbling and talking loud in my sleep ever since I got married (my wife says so). I`m not really aware of all the groaning, but she is going crazy. I don`t have some dark secrets so that I would be afraid of revealing them, but I use some really dirty words during the sleep and sometimes I even yell and scream. My wife thinks it`s a mental problem. Is there any solution? How to stop talking in my sleep?

It`s a well known sleep problem, called parasomnias. However, it's not really common to speak frequently. All those talking-in-sleep episodes usually starts while being in deep sleep. Talking in sleep is mostly completely separate from a dream. The connection between talking in sleep and a dream is actually very rare. There is little for you to try to stop talking in sleep, like to deal with the stress in your life, and to have a good sleep hygiene – for example peaceful surrounding and regular sleeping hours.

I am a sufferer too and have just started researching the cause of sleep talking. To help our understanding of this problem, we would very much appreciate it if you go to ************* and provide some information.

There was a blog where someone had jokingly suggested we use "duct tape" to shut our mouths and this got me thinking. I found a practical alternative that works (I am using it in emergencies) - Surgical Scotch Tape (preferably 1.5 to 2 inches wide). It is a very effective solution as it sticks very well, peels off easily without peeling of skin or hairs (very helpful for men) and is porous enough to allow excahnge of air.

Cheers!

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed **

You can try mouthpieces, iron pills, or potassium pills. Sleeping pills may work because they basically knock you out! Exercise may help to prevent stress even if you don't think you are stressed out.

The groaning sounds like catathrenia. I've had it since I was a teen (in my 30s now). There is a wiki page about it and also a yahoo group with about 115 other sufferers (do a search for it). Lots of feedback and ideas on the page, but we haven't found a real solution yet (sadly).

I take sleeping pills and I am still sleep talking every night, so that is not a solution.

I have a mouthpiece - a mouth guard - I use every night and I still am talking in my sleep, so that doesn't work for me anyway.

I tie 3 bandannas (scarves) across my mouth to my head...get them from dollar store....I fold each one so that it is few inches wide and tie atop my head.

Does really work?