I am a 44 year old woman who has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's but I DO NOT have a high TSH number (only 1.6). I went to an endo about 9 months ago mainly with symptoms of fatigue, muscle aches, and extreme weight gain (20 lbs in 6 months, then another 10 over the following year). This is with a fairly disciplined, strenuous exercise routine (running and aerobics 5 or even 6 days a week, 45minutes to an hour each day) and intense dieting (I've had to watch my weight all my life and never waivered from that--even during the weight gain period-- I eat 1000 calories a day--but occasionally might eat 1300 or so---I also eat very low carb).

My endo put me on a super low dose (15mg) of thyroid replacement even though my TSH was low, just because of the Hashi/autoimmune problem. I've seen NO change in 6 months. Any thoughts? Any particular diet suggestions or thoughts about whether or not it is REALLY possible that Hashimoto's alone could cause my weight gain and fatigue?

Sorry duplicate post

Although I know pitifully little about Hashimoto's, you seem like a very dedicated person and I'm wondering if you tried intense weight training. Of course, if you do this, you will have to increase caloric intake.

With your aerobics plus low calorie diet, you are probably losing muscle mass. This may be causing weight gain. Increasing muscle mass may increase your metabolism and provide a benefit.

Gary

Were you ever able to find a solution/help?