I had some problems so I visited my gynecologist. He found out I have problem with ovaries. Now I am concerned about the possibility of ovarian cancer. He suggest me hysterectomy overiesbut I want to keep them. Is there anything I can do?

If you really decide to keep your overiesthere are strategies that can be and I believe should be implemented before doing hysterectomy ovaries. This is for every woman, to increase the possibility of discovering a developing ovarian cancer at early stage and increase one’s chance of surviving this disease. First step is yearly pelvic ultrasound, preferably transvaginal and utilizing one of the more advanced ultrasound technologies. Second is yearly CA 125 blood test and third a yearly pelvic examination. When any abdominal symptom persists visit your doctor. Woman has a 1 to 70 chance of developing cancer of the ovary during her lifetime. I guess if you really got cancer it is in early stage. Also there is a type of ovarian cancer that is hereditary. Women who are identified with blood tests such as those that is confirmed with ovarian cancer, should consider the option of hysterectomy. I believer your doctor found the best solution because ovarian cancer is serious disease and needs ovarian hysterectomy.

I had a dermoid cyst many years ago at age 35. When I was 44 I had a hysterectomy. I was asked by my GYN if I wanted to remove the one remaining overy. He said if I leave it without my uteris I would never know if I got ovarian cancer. At the time I didn't want to loose the last of my feminine part. So I choose to let it remain. Recent I suffered a pulled oblique in my back and I am getting twinges on my left side near the groin area. I am thinking I may have pulled a muscle along with my back trouble. Could it be that my remaining overie is causing the twinge?