I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago. Bothe my uterus and cervix were removed. I kept ovaries. Anyway, I noticed this morning that I am spotting dark brown blood. I hav no health insurance and don't want to have to see a doc unless it is necesary. I have had some very mild cramping. I have not had sex lately or anything else that might cause an injury either. Let me know what you think?

Hi there! Considering you still have your ovaries, there is a possibility that some cysts have developed and are causing the bleeding. Ovarian cysts may not cause any problems but some are symptomatic and pretty uncomfortable. Some of the symptoms ovarian cysts may cause are lower abdominal pain; fullness or bloating; pain with sexual intercourse; urinary frequency or difficulty with bowel movements; vaginal spotting, etc.
In order to have these checked, you need to have an ultrasound, which can show if you have the cysts or not. Cysts smaller than 5cm in diameter are usually left alone as they may dissolve on their own but bigger ones may be managed in different ways.
Ovarian cysts can cause complications if they rupture, bleed and become infected. If this happens a woman may experience nausea, vomiting and pain.
Ovarian cysts are most likely to cause the bleeding.

I had a supracervical hysterectomy 3 years ago and I was just released
from the hospital because I had 1 ovary with a 7 mm complex mass with spotting and horrible pain anyway to make a long horrible story short
my ob/gyn had left a big piece of my uterus behind and it was growing back very fast along with a nice tumor on my ovary so if you spot get a trans-vag us and CT if needed and a Dr. that cares! !

Hi, I thought I would share my visit to the doctor just yesterday. I have had a similar situation. I had a Hysterectomy more than 10 years ago and recently diagnosed with Ovarian Cyst and Kidney stones which I have serval over 4 in the past year which were very painful. However this was not the same pain. I posed the question to the doctor about the bleeding or fluid coming from the cyst if that was possible.....she said no because the connection was gone there is no tubes or possible way for the fluid/blood to come out. She is sending me for a Reinal CT Scan today and then I am going to see the a Specialist (Urologist) on Monday. I am not sure if this helps at all but I iwll also ask the specialist the same question about the possiblity of it being the Ovarian Cyst.

I will write more when I find out more details...

Good Luck

I've just started bleeding (bright red) in the last month (over a year since my vaginal hysterectomy..uterus and cervix). I start bleeding a few hours after intercourse. The first time I bled about 2 hours, the next time a bled about 4 hours and quit bleeding around noon then started bleeding again at 6 am (no intercourse) the next morning and bled all day until around 10 pm. I was out of town (it was a Friday) so I went to my ob/gyn the following Monday. They did vaginal exam, urine test and both came back negative, also no sign of granule area seen. Asked another dr to come over and check me also and they did not know...told me to take premarin for two weeks and an antibiotic and come back in 14 days and to avoid intercourse. I did, went for followup and was told it must be a granule or vaginal dryness, so to go about my normal activity and don't worry. I believe our body gives us warning signs for a reason. I don't know what to do now. I have had a feeling of generally not being well for a couple of years and no one can find out why...now I am bleeding..my left ankle and foot swells if I sit or stand very long..especially in the heat, I've been on blood pressure meds for the past few years, so they now have me on bp meds with a diuretic...ankles, calves and feet still swell. I've outlived my own mom by almost five years...she died at 41 of breast and bone cancer, so I am greatly concerned about how my body is feeling and now the bleeding... I just don't know what to do. Any ideas about what is wrong or what to do next is greatly appreciated! I've been reading these other ladies problems and wonder what they ever found out was causing them to bleed. Hinde sight is always 20/20. Thank you so much!

I had my uterus and cervix removed a year ago. Last weekend after intercourse I noticed pink spots on my towel. I dismissed it until the next day I was bleeding enough to have to send my husband out for sanitary napkins. By the time i was able to get to my doctor the bleeding had stopped. I felt she thought this was all in my head. I went for an ultrasound 5 days later and still have no explanation. Needless to say I haven't had intercourse since, I am afraid the bleeding will start again. Has anyone gotten any definite explanation as to why vaginal bleeding would occur years after a hysterectomy?

hi i had a hysterectomy in 04 and this morning i found that i was spotting and i am very scared because it was not just in my underwear but, as i wiped on the tissue as well, i have read some of the other stories and i kind of feel a little better bot i will cjeck with a doctor or what would someone suggest should i wait a couple of days and see if it persist. :'( :$

Hi, I realize these post are from a while ago, but I'm wondering what happened to you after you found out that you had part of your uterus left behind. I too had a hysterectomy 5 yeras ago because of hemmoraging, and some atypical (precancerous) cells. They left one ovary, and my cervix, so I had the uterus removed. Well, every other month or so, I bleed lightly, (enough to require a pad). I had a pelvic MRI, and it referred to this as a "hump" left from the hysterectomy. It also mentioned a cyst on the one ovary remaining. ALSO, I had a trans-vaginal ultra sound 2 weeks ago, and tomorrow I go back to the GYN oncologist.

SO what ever did happen to you? thanks,

Donna

_[removed]_

Eleven yrs ago I had a hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) post bladder-lift. I have been bleeding ever since from my vagina. I have tried 3 different surgies to correct this but to no avail. They say I am allergic to the gortex they put in me to hold up everything. They have tried 3 times to find the gortex but can't. My vaginal wall has so much scar tissue from the surgies and is too thin and the bleeding keeps coming every day. I've worn a pad for the past 11 yrs. I'm fed up - the doctors say this isn't life-threating but just a nucience. Who can I go to? I'd like help. Thank you.

I like many other writers on this site have undergone a hysterectomy -- cervix and uterus 5 years ago. I have had ovarian cysts for years - things have changed in the last year. I had a pelvic MRI for another health related issued when a cyst was discovered. I have had a multitude of ultrasound & transvaginal workups over the last 12 month. This month I have experienced severe pain lasting more than two weeks with on again off again spotting. My family doctor and gyn doctor agree that I should have the ovary in question removed. I was told I could keep the other ovary if he does not show any signs of illness. I'm nervous but the pain (unmedicated) and the spotting have got stop. -- In summary - I side at my laptop waiting for the hospital staff to call me to schedule my procedure and wanted you all to know what a comfort it is to read your comments.

I feel very sorry for the lady that has been bleeding for years. That is totally ridiculous that they can't find the problem.
I am amazed that I just learned yesterday I could have bleeding up to 3 months post op. My hysterectomy (& cervix removed, ovaries remain) occurred 3 weeks ago and I started spotting in the last few days. I was taking naturopath homepathic pills & just finished them recently I was having a discharge only since the surgery and then the spotting happened on a daily basis - maybe the bleeding started because I'm not taking those homeopathic remedies anymore?. The spotting came twice when last week I picked up a case of cat food and also another day when I move a 20 lb bag of bird seed. I can understand maybe this was too much for me to do. I shoveled some snow yesterday so maybe that didn't help either. I guess lighten up on the activities. What I am disturbed about is that there is any bleeding at all and that the nurse whom I spoke to yesterday said the bleeding could be from the ovaries and coming through the vaginal walls! This is totally new info. to me. I did not read anything about blood coming through the walls from any web page, and I searched a fair bit pre op, nor from 'Women's Bodies, Women's Health' by C. Northup. I thought that was the definitive book. I certainly missed this issue if it was in this book.
I'm mentioning about the blood from the pelvis, due to the ovaries, going through the walls because it doesn't seem that anyone else here mentioned it (though it may have been understood or impled). It makes no sense to me - there is no uterus in which to contribute to a lining, nor is there any endometriosis in my case - my gyne cleaned all that up. The explanation from the nurse was not adequate. I see my gyne in 3 weeks and will get a full explanation. I'm hoping the situation is because of the activity recently. I am very disappointed that I don't know the future outcome of this. My surgery was to prevent anymore bleeding! Now I learn that is possible not the way it is. I thought that was the last I would ever buy pads. Now I live in unknown with always needing to have those things? I hope not. Looking forward to the post op visit.

gosh well reading these posts has relieved me. I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago and started spotting today - I wondered whether I had cut the outside wall somehow???? ( after having intercourse last night) now I am beginning to wonder. I too had my ovaries left in - so maybe it is a cyst on teh ovary - but at least it seems that its fairly common - so maybe if it is still bleeding over the weekend then I will go to the docs on Monday... wont get an appointment with my doctor of course and have to take pot luck on who is on emergency visits.. but just to put my mind at rest.

I feel for all of you ladies! I'm doing some research for my snl. She just started bleeding, but she no longer has her ovaries. Her surgery was about 5 years ago. When she flies on a plane, some times she gets nose bleeds, some times her ear has blood in itm, but this trip she just took, she is now bleeding as if she were starting her period. which of course is not possible. Anyone had this problem??

I have just recently started bleeding moderately to heavy during intercourse and I just cant figure out where it could be coming from since I've had a hysterectomy a little over 3 years ago. Its so shocking and a little scary that so many of us who have posted to this topic still have no answers as to why. I am trying to find a really good GYN to go to and if I get any answers I will post them here. Has anyone had a doctor to tell them why yet?

I had my hysterectome in 1994 due to severe endemetreosis; one "healthy looking" ovary was left due to my age (32). I have had no problems until last year. I had pinching like pains which I atributed to ovulation. I went to an OB/GYN (no health insurance) and was told that without an $1800 ultrasound they couldn't be certain & since the hospital wanted cash upfront I passed; I was told they would probably go away on their own. THey did. 2 days ago I noticed blood on my toilet tissue and within minutes I have experienced moderate to severe pain in my ovary and lower back. No more blood and no fever. The pains are shooting into my thigh. They are prety bad but not incapacitating. I have tried Aleve, Tylenol and now a heating pad. No more blood but the pain is not gone. I won't have health insurance for 30 days so I hope I can hang on. Any advice would be great.