Hi. I`m 24 years old. I suffer from hermochromatosis and need to avoid iron rich foods. I have large amounts of iron and that can cause some damage to my liver, heart and pancreas. I have to eat low iron foods and would like to know more about that. Is there anybody with some iron info?

Hi, well don`t know much about low iron foods, because I have to eat iron rich foods. But, yes to me is no for you. What I have to eat, you should avoid? Anyway, foods containing iron are: steamed clams, total and life cereal, raisin bran cereal (many cereals), prune juice, potato baked with skin, cooked shrimp, dried figs, cooked navy beans, cooked green peas, dried apricot, cooked broccoli, boiled egg. Not much to avoid, really.

As levitin said, your condition basically requires you not to avoid as much as you can the foods that are usually recommended to people who have low blood iron. The main source of iron we get from food is the red meat – beef, pork, lamb and somewhat turkey or chicken. So, you will have to limit your read meat intake.

The other major dietary recommendation for you would be – avoid spinach. It’s known and proven pretty well that spinach has very high iron content, even to the point that it helps to stabilize iron levels, but for people who suffer from low iron. You should also watch the amount of eggs and dairy products you consume, since they too contain some iron or are sometimes iron enhanced.