I am on day one of giving up alcohol totally... I have only been 6 hours without a drink and I can't stop thinking about one !  I have been drinking heavily for the last year and have put on 2 stone in weight .  I have a crate of water and lemon juice ready ... but that isn't stopping me shaking !  Not in a good place at the moment... any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am doing completely on my own.

Me too... am 28 hours in... am all scared that im going to die from withdrawal symptoms now... how you doing?

Awww... have you been to see the doc yet ?? .. they say it's not a good idea to quit immediately - but i'm all or nothing so would rather do cold turkey ... if I only had a tiny sip - the bottle would be gone !!... I can't stop shaking ... but have managed to convince myself that alcohol is poison (but its early days !!) .. How long have you been drinking and what ?? C.. :-)

oh... drinking forever from 14 y.o. to 24 y.o. then from 28y.o. to 39 y.o.....Aaaargh! Used to drink mostly beer and tequila... (mmmm beeeer) but too expensive for the quantities i like so now mostly wine and beer .. usually 12 - 20 standard drinks per sitting... most days...started to hit me quite hard lately... getting messier on same amounts...worrying...pretty gross really. now been 43 hours...figure that I would be showing signs of dying by now wouldn't I? Aaargh stress!..Nothing a little drinky-poo wouldn't fix :) ...Not doing too badly now actually... shakes going but not sleeping much... really determined this time...am sick of waking up sick and disguisted and guilty... so gonna keep trying... just wish it was over... wish I was six months down the track and feeling good and confident... I acn feel the years of guilt coming though... don't know how i'm going to handle that without the glug glug!
You?

Keep it up and keep checking in here to give us your progress. I drank for many years and found it to be very very difficult for the first several days and I desparately wanted to just have a drink. But i perservered and found out that it was one of the hardest things ive ever had to do but it was so worth it. Just keep up the great work!

please please keep strong,i have just lost my dear brother aged 43.

I knew he liked a drink,but i did not realise to the extent that its now killed him.

pancreatitus,diabeates, he told me the hospitalisations was because they couldnt control his diabetes.

what a numbskull ive been for not knowing.

i now know i have lost my brother through drink.

Congrats for starting - how are you doing these days?.  I'm pretty much in the same place - 48 hours now.  The tremors and sweats are bad now but improving, and the stomach cramps and vomiting  are over for the most part, and I'm starting to be able to eat a little.  Sprite and sugary things like apple juice diluted some with seltzer water seemed helpful for first steps, taken in VERY small sips.  Best of luck to you!