I don't really like to talk about it but I have been an alcoholic for about 20 years now. Of course, I have been on and off the old drink, but I have always come back to it. The truth is that I am unable to stay off the drink. I really want to give up alcohol permanently now, because my doctor told me I might damage my health permanently if I didn't. How can I prepare for giving up alcohol? What are the side effects?

Admitting you have a problem is the right way to start! Have you looked into Alcoholics Anonymous or another support group? I know these groups help so many people! After stopping drinking, you might feel delirious, aggresive, desperate, you might get tremors, delusions, and more. I really think you can't do it on your own. Something as difficult as giving up alcohol requires professional help.