Lately every time I drink alcohol I feel urge to urinate but I can't. We usually get drunk on weekends' mornings are terrible and I wasn't paid much attention on this, but everyone says that is not normal not to urinate after drinking alcohol. Has anyone experienced this? I'll appreciate some suggestions.

This is strange. As far as I know alcohol stimulates your body to produce more urine. Quite opposite situations happened after you drinking. People have need to urinate more than usually which can lead to another danger of dehydration. Dehydration is often characterized by thirst, dizziness and lightheadedness. You should see urologist about that. It could be serious problem.

I too have problems urinating if I drink to muck alcohol. The only thing tat alleviates the discomfort is a warm shower. Good Luck

I too, have had this problem in recent times, and it was particularly bad last Sunday. I think that it is probably indicative of the fact that my liver is being damaged by heavy drinking, and so I have now resolved to stop drinking altogether -- apart, of course, from moderate social drinks.

I should say that I am a male, 62, and I drank spirits heavily because I am depressed. However, I am also depressed to think of what is happening to my liver, and so the best thing is just to stop it, as the medical facts are quite clear.

Guys,

My best bet is that you have something (if you are in fact guys and not women!) known as Prostatitis, or a inflammation of the prostate gland. It is very common in younger guys (effects nearly 50% of all men at some point in their life times). Alcohol, caffeine and spicy foods are thought to aggravate the prostate if you have prostitis. Prostitis can be very annoying (I've had/have it on and off) but it's not really dangerous. Still, I would go see a doctor to make sure it's not something crazy like Prostate cancer (which I'm sure it's not but it's better to be safe than sorry). I hope this helps. Good luck!

I've encountered the problem only when I hold it too long after drinking alcohol, then I can't go when I want to.

This apparently happened to the great astronomer Tycho Brahe in 1601.

The Lord of Uraniborg: A Biography of Tycho Brahe, Victor E. Thoren:

[Brahe] accompanied Councillor Minckwicz to dinner at the home of Peter Vok Ursinus [the Baron of Rosenberg]. Holding his urine longer than he was accustomed to doing, Brahe remained seated. Although he drank a bit overgenerously and felt pressure on his bladder, he had less concern for the state of his health than for etiquette. By the time Brahe returned home, he could no longer urinate.

Modern theory attributes his death to "uremia due to hypertrophy of the prostate" (Thoren, p. 469 n.).

I to have this problem, New Years eve was bad I got up about 5:00 and really had to pee but couldn't. feeling like hell all I could do was sit on the toilet and suffer. I have found that before I can really go good I have to have a good BM and then it seems to work good again. I have been doing this for about 3 years now it kind of makes you wonder if it's worth drinking at all when you have to go through every time. anyone else found that a goog BM will fix the problem?

yeah a bm does help. but its hard to go have a bm if your out partying. i have this problem too. it scares me a lot. i ask my friends if theyve ever had the problem but they tell me no and thats its really wierd that i do. its a very embarrassing problem to have. i hope that it goes away.

I think it indicates a kidney problem..perhaps the kidneys are failing to flush out the fluids that you've taken..better see a doctor about it.

The truth is either your liver or kidneys or both stop working for drinking heavily from long period! Death could be around the corner, best thing to do is give up drinking while u still can!!!

I am female and have this problem when I drink beer. I was told years ago that it was good to drink a beer or two to flush your kidneys. I can no longer drink it at all because I don't urinate afterwards and swell the next day. It takes me about 4 days to recuperate. If you find out what this is please post.

I get this hellish thing a couple times a month.. That miserable, basically what feels like needing to hold your sphincter open so more pee dribbles out of it, along with stabbing pain when you try for the "spritz" at the end - has got to be the most debilitating, helpless feeling aside of a full blown migraine. "good" to hear I'm not the only one, fellas. I don't find it's directly associated with drinking.. I can polish off a bottle of wine without a problem, but this might be because I try and hydrate towards the end of a bottle. However if I engage in sex after alcohol it usually happens, makes me more prone to experience it.
Only things that seemed to work for me : drink as much water as you can right away and try to hold your pee for a little while longer so it settles down.. let's you at least pee a little, speeds up the process. Also try getting in the shower, it distracts your nervous system to the point it's bearable (this works great for headaches and stomach aches too)... usually the first place I head when I'm hurting.
I've been told it could be kidney stones, but I have no other abdominal pain and it seems too infrequent (sometimes gone months without the problem).
Any Doctors on here want to lend their prof-advice :).

Cheers,
Dave in Portland

I asked my Dr. about this a few months ago because I'm a very heavy drinker and was concerned about my liver and kidneys. I became even more concerned when I noticed that while drinking or during withdrawal it seemed like I was consuming a lot of liquids but I seemed unable to urinate. Sometimes, despite the deep dehydration, it seemed like it would be almost two days. My doctor told me that whenever you're dehydrated (especially so extremely) than your body will retain the fluids to rehydrate. You probably have nothing to worry about but I'd get an ultrasound anyway just to rule out any organ damage. Good luck!

just the other night i had taken a few pain pils for my back.i drank 2 40 ounce beers then tried to pee but couldent.
ive had the problem you all are talking about in the past so i dident think much of it.i awoke a few hours later
and had to be rushed to the hospital.they said i was very lucky.i felt like my bladder was gonna explode and
they barely kept me alive long enough to get a kathider that drained my urine and saved my life.
i will be seeing someone soon to find out what went wrong.i had to write this because it was the most
scary thing that ive ever went through.please be careful.i dont want any of you to go through that.

i am a 33 yr old female and never had problems urinating till after i had my daughter. afetr i had her i had continious urinary infections so bad i would get clots of blood. BUT..the urinary infections would only come about after i had gone out drinking. for a few yrs the problem went away but now the last few yrs whenever i drink its like my bladder becomes paralized. It feel as if i have a bladder infection and there is pressure. when i urinate only a few drops will come out and a few minutes later i feel like i have to pee really bad again and i try to urinate but again only drops. i will be up all night every 15 to 30 minutes trying to pee. usually around 12 in the afternoon the next day it will finally releive itself and i can urinate like normal. it has gotton to the point where i dont want to drink any more because of this problem. i have a physical on tue so im going to address it to my dr. and hopefully she may have some insight. i have been to a urologist in the past but they were unable to find any thing. i know whats going on is not normal by any means!!