my parents are seperated and do not speak to each other any more; so how do i tell my dad that i've started my period? needless to say i'm worried about telling my mother anyway and my dad is worse because he is a guy and does not understand these things and he is also a bit . . . well lets just say he's still a child at heart. i need help.

Periods are natural and normal and fully expected. Why can't you tell your mom? She is a women. Don't forget, she was young once too. This is nothing to be ashamed of. Hey mom, i got my period. Done. You really don't have to tell your dad if you don't want to. I never did, but i know my mom told him, so what.
You say your dad wouldn't understand these things. What is there to understand? He being a "child at heart" like you say, has nothing to do with it. He got together with your mom and created you, he knows what's up.
You should never feel funny about talking to your mom about anything, especially getting your first period. It's your Right of Passage. It's sort of an exciting time for a young girl. Regardless of whether or not your mom/dad don't speak to one another, you are their main concern and they still share the responsibility of you.
Tell mom, she may even be excited for you, mine was, and of course she had to tell me all about her first period.

One problem, I LIVE with my dad, so I HAVE to tell him. It's going to be hard though, because he's a guy, so he doesn't understand what us girls have to go through.

I'm 14 and I started when I was 10 and I was withh my dad (parents are seperated) So I just took a shower then put towlet paper on my underwear I went out sat with my dad and put my head down and saidd "dad I started my period" I kinda wanted to cry but jus a little He was all like waaaaahhhhhhhh but then he was like "so do u like need pads?" And I saidd yeahh we went to buy them and he told me to always keep clean AWKWARDEST DAY OF MY LIFE

all you have to do is
sit your father down and start by saying
dad I have to tell you something and all you have to say is
dad I have started my period if he says what tell you have that time of the month

Yuck. I did not tell my dad. I told the secretary and the counselor at my school. My dad is a grownup but he won't ever know about my girl stuff.
He does not tell me his private stuff.

If you confide in him, you might learn a lot more about him too and find a great friend in the process.

I started my period on Thursday but I didn't realise till Friday at school. So I told my mum but she lives over an hour away so she couldn't do nothing so I told my dads girlfriend and she quickly went to the shop and brought me some pads and bags and she told me to ask her fire more when I've got none left and she also said she won't tell my dad if I didn't want her to