I would really appreciate a good thorough answer! I am young and made the mistake of having unprotected sex :/ it was June 30th (a week before my period) and he pulled out but I still took a next choice one dose pill. I understand that the pill can cause your period to be irregular but I started it the next week like planned but 2 days earlier. It was my normal period and you shed your uterine lining when this happens right? Well I had my normal period with blood clots and I had what looked like chunks of what should have been my lining and it is now 1 day after I stopped. I am wondering if there is a possibility I could still end up pregnant.. Please help me, and please try to answer thoroughly :) thank you so much

Hi worried,

It is unlikely you are pregnant.  You MOST likely didn't need the Next Choice either.  The timing was bad for you to get pregnant.

Normally you'd ovulate between days 11 and 16 of your cycle.  You said you had sex a week before you period so about day 21.  The egg is only viable 48 hours after ovulation.

Chances are LOW.

Remember, side effects can last for several cycles.  Your next few period may be early or late and "different."  It's all normal.

Good luck.

How long does sperm usually last inside you..? oh thank you for answering :)

Up to about 5 days.

You're welcome.

according to my period tracker I should be ovulating right now so how do you know if you are ovulating? And can you ovulate and be pregnant?

There are ovulation test kits available.

Usually your mucous changes after ovulation, lessens.

You ovulate BEFORE you get pregnant. Ovulation releases the egg for fertilization. Once you are pregnant you don't ovulate.

Is there a way to know you are ovulating without the test?

Your mucous changes right after.

You can also measure you body basal temperature and track it. Your body temperature rises about 1/2 a degree after ovulation

You may notice a few light spots of blood, ovulation spotting.

Hope it helps.

Hey medic-dan it's me again.. So I didn't miss my period and it came at the time it was supposed to (Aug. 1st) and I usually have it for 7 days but today is only the 4th day and it's almost gone. At first it was really heavy and I had to keep going to the restroom to change my pad/tampon but now there is hardly anything. Why is this?? And could there still be a possibility of being pregnant?

Hi Worried,

It's unlikely you are pregnant. "Really heavy" is likely your period.

Emergency contraceptives CAN and DO screw up your periods. They can be early or late and heavier or lighter than normal and it can last for a few months.

Hope it helps.

If my period does come a later than the time it is supposed to because of next choice how late would you say it could be?

You can even miss it completely Worried.

There are a LOT of hormones in Plan B. You can always take a home test if you wait at least 2 weeks after you had sex. Use your wake up pee for the best accuracy.