My husband and I are trying to get pregnant. I have a 30-31 day cycle and have been using an ovulation predictor kit to determine when to try. I have been getting a positive LH surge result on day 19 or 20 each month. Am I ovulating so late in my cycle that I might be getting my period too early that the fertilized egg doesn't have time to implant before I get my period?

As your cycle lasts a bit longer than normal, you are running the risk of more inaccurate readings using the ovulation predictor kit. It measures your LH levels but cannot indicate whether you ovulate if you get a positive response.
The predictor kits can detect the ovulation 24-36 hours in advance, but you should keep in mind that you should have sex within 36 hours of the time your test shows the increase of luteining hormones.
The time for ovulation is about 2 weeks before your next period and the reason the period actually comes is because the chemical messages are received by the uterus to shed the lining, when the ovulated egg is not fertilized. This takes a few days so ovulation doesn’t occur right before the period. As you said, the fertilized egg wouldn’t have time to implant because the uterine lining would be shedding.
I somewhere read that 84% of pregnancies implant after 8-10 days after the ovulation.
What is up to you is to take notes of your ovulations and see at what time they occur, but meanwhile you don’t miss any chance to have the intercourse, the more you have sex- the more chances to get pregnant you have!! Happy baby making!!