I'm a 35 yr old male and have been dealing with rectal bleeding for alot of years first Dr said it was constipation, years later hemmorroids I kept assuming he was right so kept just telling myself that's what it was. In the last year I have developed mucus discharge and just recently anal gas and now it seems belching in the last few day. Dr. has finally booked me for a colonosscopy next month but I'm worried we waited way too long and now I'm in a late stage of colon cancer. I've been a nervous reck and havn't been able to function on a day to day basis with all the worrying. I've went to see him and he said it could be alot of things but I'm convinced it's colon cancer. It doesn't run in my family but just the length of time I've been dealing with this and the fact new symptons are developing can't be good. Every little pain I feel is driving me crazy no matter where it is but havn't really experienced any constant pain in one place. My online research isn't giving me much hope in finding other causes. I'm trying to prepare myself for the news but am wondering if there is any possiblility it can be something else?

Snap.

I had the same symptons, plus toilet visits 20 times a day, was told the same by my doctor, and finally got referred to hospital for a sigmoidoscopy. In the end it turned out to be Ulcerative colitis. In my case that meant a short treatment of steroid suppositries and a course of salazopyrin. It has been in remission now for 20 years. It is much more likely to be colitis, or possibly Chrohn's, than cancer. If it is colitis, treatment normally is pills. There's no cure as such yet, but it normally goes into remission after a course of tablets, and then you can get on with your life.

Hello.

All those things that I am reading make me believe that you might have early stages of Crohns. I know because I had issues with it and one of the first symptoms that I had was actually a rectal bleeding.

You should definitely consider visiting your doctor, he is going to do some tests to see what exact cause is and he might prescribe you the antibiotics as well. 

Of course, I did the colonoscopy and it is really bad feeling, not comfortable at all. But we all need to go through this... 

I understand that you might have a hard time to do that and that you don't want to, but for your own good you should while you have a time. 

What you write seems just like what I am having. I woke up 3 1/2 weeks ago on a Sunday morning and I had diahrea all morning. I thought it was possibly the fast food burger I ate the day before... then not long after I developed bloody stool (I thought it may have been a hemroid - sp?). The gas involved has been awful as well. Sometimes I don't know whether I have to have a BM or pass gas. Sometimes the stool is near normal, sometimes it's lose and diahrea like. But I always have blood accompanying it. Sometimes there is a few drops into the toilet, almost always on the paper. There is sometimes mucous mixed with the blood and diahrea... all in all it has been the worst almost 4 weeks of my life. My doctor sent in a stool sample, everything came back normal (I almost wish something was caught - that way it could have been dealt with and disappeared). Now she is sending me to a Gastroent.... (sp?)... but that appoitnment isn't for another 3 weeks! I'm going stir crazy. Of course we all think of the worst. How can we not!!

I would welcome any and all feedback. I think the things that stick out the most in discribing this is... frequent BM's, gassy BM's, blood in the BM's and mucous sometimes. There is no pain. Sometimes I feel like I have to have a BM and nothing is there.

Can anyone comment? share?

I'm in the same boat--can't tell when it's gas or a BM...I'd had a colonoscopy 2 years ago--it was just hemeroids; I'm gonna try suppostitories for awhile, maybe it'll clear up...I don't want to have to spend $1600 again for a colonoscopy yet...

Thanks for the help

I am a 29 year old female and am having pain in my lower stomache. I have had a hysterectomy a few yrs ago,( the DR. left my overies..sp?..) and have had another surgery 2 yrs ago to remove those...because my intestines where attached to my intestines and bladder. What I am worried about now is that I have bright red blood in my stool after a bowel movement, and pain during it. What is going on? Can someone help me...I am scared to go to the doctor. Afraid it is something bad, yet embarrassed..sp?... if it is nothing.

First of All, Blood in your stool is an extremely common occurance that can be caused by many things. You should not freak out. The fact thay you have pain is probably a sign that it is something other than colon cancer. However, You should get a colonoscopy as soon as possible. Not going to the doctor is foolish. I had blood in my stool and it was internal hemmoriods. My wife had the same thing and it was stage 1 colon cancer. Although she had it. But just think, if we had not gone in, the cancer would have progressed. Now the doctors think that the surgery will be enough to take care of it. The odds are strongly in your favor that is something much less serious but waiting is rolling the dice with your life. Make an appointment now!!!! No matter what it is, the earlier you deal with it the better.

There are TONS of things it can be and least likely of all is colon cancer! If the bleeding is bright red and there is mucus, etc., chances are that the bleeding is not too far into the intestines. It is most likely a raw inflammed bowel that bleeds, esp., when constantly irritated by movements that are hard or frequent and runny. Colitis and Crohns disease are 2, just to name a couple. Polyps in the intestine are usually behind a long, gradual progression to cancer, and usually occur in people much older! By the way, if it eases your mind, I am 32 and have these symptoms--sometimes bad and sometimes mild and sometimes not at all. Sometimes the blood actually colors the toilet water red! But because I am a female who has had many a period, I can promise you that what looks like a ton of blood is only a couple to a few teaspoons at best, and if you were losing a lot of blood, you'd become anemic and probably end up on the table trying to find the cause of anemia before anything else. I think it is highly unlikely you have cancer, but let us know what happens, and best wishes.

I have universal colitis and the pain is unbearable. The pain has been constant and getting worse for the past 8 months. When I do go it hurts so much I get sick and out of breath. I have been anemic all my life. I am only 19 years old. Is this normal for colitis? I usually end up using the bathroom 10 times a day. Walking, lifting, and bending usually makes it worse. Is there a reason why the pain increases as days go by? Are the colonoscopy's painful? The doctor says I might need to have one done. I hear they are pretty expensive, and I don't make much money. I hate going out in public because I need to go so often, especially while moving around. Is there anything I could do? I can't take pills so I can't take medications. Has anyone had the surgery? Please let me know about anything. :-D

I have also recently had these problem. Gas with a discharge of blood and mucus. A week before I had sever stomach cramps and it was not my period. I had a hestorectomy 2 yr ago. It was cramps and diarreha. And then the next week I start having bad gas with a mucus / bloody discharge. I am schedule for a colonoscopy next week. I will let you all know the out come. I hope everyone is okay. Does anyone know what might be happening I read about colon cancer and hemmeroid etc. But, I am just curious and worried.

Steve,
I went through exactly same events like you. What was the diagnosis for you?
I am going to see a GI next month. Very anxious. Eager to hear from you.

You can never tell that it is cancer after having blood & mucus in the stool and gas and frequent belching. You still need to undergo colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy, biopsy, etc. to confirm this. It may only be ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, etc. You should consult another doctor if you're not satisfied with what your primary doctor has told you just for your peace of mind.

**edited by moderator**

I am a 27 yo female and have had intestinal problems since I was 16. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and after many blood tranfussions and hospital stays for pain control/steroids/fluids they finally decided to take out my entire large intestine ( total colectomy). I had the colostomy bag for 4 months and after my reversal everything seemed fine for a few years. This year, however, has been a nightmare. The heavy duty bloody stools are back, abd pain is unreal and now I am starting to have back pain. My normal GI has not known what to do with me...I have been on everything possible from giving myself shots to going for iv therapy- thinking it was maybe Crohns. Every test they do is border line Crohns. So I am beyond frustrated...has anyone haf anything like this?
Thanks!

my boyfriend is also experiencing some of these symptoms. he started taking glucosamine about 8mo ago and during that time he developed really foul smelling gas. he stopped taking the glucosamine after a couple months b/c the gas was getting worse and he was also noticing that his bowel movements were very gelatinous. he has been off the glucosamine for 8mo but continues to have the same syptoms. just like some of you wrote, he reoprts the urge to have a bm and when he gets in there....nothing. it's like he has a large amt of gas and maybe some gelatinous discharge but no bm.

i'm a registered nurse (but i just deliver babies!) and i'm getting really nervous. i've asked him to make an appt but he keeps putting if off.

he is about to turn 34 on tues and i would really like him to have a clean bill of health. has anyone heard back from their colonoscopies or gastroenterologists?

I'm starting to have all the symptoms you all mention. I'm 35 year old woman. 2 weeks ago I started to have abnormal stools..started with cramps ..loosen stools and when I started to monitoring closely I have noticed mucus around it. Sometimes It just have a massive gas attack (the way I call it) and all I get is just white mucus and some brownish also. I have a schedule appt for next monday with a proctologist and I just cant wait for the results of the test. Im very worry because I been reading and comparing my symptoms with people and loooks like Crohn's disease. I'm just prying isnt more serious than that..Also I wanted to share about some natural pill my sister told me about. She told me wonders about it and since I dont have nothing to lose I will try it. Im not saying you all should go for it since most people are skeptical about most things but I thought I might share it with you all since we are all kind in the same boat
The name of it its ENHANCESTEM..like I said Im not trying to make any kind of advertising here. Like I said we all in this together and After all this is natural