I have very unpleasant symptom that causes considerable embarrassment and inconvenience with me. Lately I have noticed rectal mucus discharge. I don’t know what could be reason for this. I need more time to decide visit my doctor, but I would like to know what it could be.

The most common causes for mucus rectal discharge are benign. Anyway, serious pathology is sufficiently likely to warrant though examination. There are a few conditions that can cause rectal mucus discharge. Common are hemorrhoids, anal fissures, rectal prolepses, proctitis and perineal warts. Those situations are most common in human. Occasional that can be caused by rectal carcinoma and villous adenoma. Also perineal Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis is possible for rectal mucus discharge. There is included and solitary rectal ulcer syndrome too. A very rare condition that causes rectal mucus discharge is anal tuberculosis, syphilis, gonorrhea or
AIDS. As you can see, there are a lot of reasons that could be reason for your problem, which mean you should visit your doctor and make examination. That is nothing embarrassment, it’s about your health.

Yes. Mucus in stool is common for a lot of people. But, it is not something that you should not pay attention at. 

I had it and I was observing it every day. When I did some tests, I find out that I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. In case you didn't know, that is a type of inflammatory bowel disease that is characterized by the development of ulcers or open sores, usually in your rectum. Ulcers develop when chronic inflammation causes weak spots in the intestinal tract. 

When you are having some issue like this one, you should have some symptoms. And when you notice those symptoms, call for your doctor. 

Are you currently on any oral contraceptives?

I too have a rectal mucus discharge that is smelly and embarrassing. People think I don't wipe myself which cannot be further from the truth. I have hemorroids and am on birth control. What does birth control have to do with it?

My doctors (GP, GI, OBGYN) all think it is my head. Tests of my blood, stool, and a colonoscopy have all come back negative for anything.

I am a male 63yrs. , and I have this rectal discharge problem also . I did not see any mention of side effects of medication mentioned . My symptoms started to begin shortly after taking Pravastatin , 40mg daily . If my memory serves me I also had these symptoms of fluid weeping after I had taken another cholesterol lowering medication some time ago . This problem also includes iching and burning . Does anyone have any advise on this .

I'm 18 and noticed last night an orange mucus in my underwear and when i wiped. I'm on no medication.

I had this same problem, and it turned out I was "lactose intolerant", or sensitive to lactose. Try going completely dairy free(no whey, casein, milkfat, yogurt) for two weeks. you'll feel amazing.

I think what our lactose intolerant friend means is that allergic reactions or food intolerance can cause this. In their case, it was lactose. In your case, it maybe something else. You may consider a visit with an allergist to try to locate food allergies. They're going to do recommend a few things to narrow it down. First, you can do a skin test (which is like, 70% accurate). Then, you'll basically start a trial and error with the foods they found (I lack the patience for this myself).

i occasionally have the same issue. i have been diagnosed with IBS with constipation. i was told not to take advil as it can cause mucous in your intestines/stools....or something to that effect. i know only have that issue when i forget to take my medication (miralax) or am stressed or take advil.

I also am having this problem. I'm a professional working long hours in a position which is very client intensive, so this is a very big issue for me. I excused myself from a very important meeting not long ago due to an "odour". I had been to the toilet several times that day and continually wiped with a mucus discharge resulting.

i had the same problem im 29. i discovered it was my own fault :-( . living alone im constantly budgeting so when i would run low on milk i would occaisionally top it up with a little water and carry on using it often leaving it out by the kettle for making tea . this however can mask the odour of it going off . since i brought myself a small fridge for near to the kettle (the ones that hold a 4-pack of beer) and stopped watering my milk down it has gone completely....maybe this will help some of you and possibly ties in with the comments about lactose intollerance though im no scientist it seems connected :-)

I'm 21, Female and have rectal bleeding and discharge. I dont know what has caused it, but I'd like it to go away. What could be causing both of these uncomfortable problems?

having the same problem for some time. Im 36 and Im doing everything possible to stop the mucus but with no success. I am dairy and gluten free. Been scoped from both ens with no findings. I have been told that i have a fissure and to take metamucil. Can a fissure cause this? Whats the treatment for a fissure. i have increased my fiber intake a ton with lentils, raw fruits and veggies and metamucil occasionally. Any thoughts?

I am a 40 year old man and yes all too familiar with the notorious “clear ‘yellowish tint’ sticky mucus discharge”…However from previous posts, it sounds as though others have an odor…not in my case, there is not a smell. It is just very frustrating to wipe, then go back 10 minutes later and have moist toilet paper, as if I have never wiped. I am also very gassy too, which doesn’t help the discharge from leaking, I suppose?
I recall having minor symptoms a few years back, but not to this degree. One year ago, I had hemorrhoid surgery, which I might add is an extremely painful recovery, and “IT” has never really been the same down there since then, but in any case, after the surgery, I really took notice of this problem and had to begin wearing a 4X4 Gauze pad and simply thought this was due to the surgery…well here I am a year later and it appears that the problem has gotten so much worse…and a hemorrhoid is back!!!!! I have spoke with the DR, she had heard of this before, didn’t actually examine the clear fluid, but passed it off as a hemorrhoid issue, which creates a leakage canal of some sort…not sure I am buying it, but I suppose it makes some sense since having all the hemi problems, this has to be related to it somehow. In any case yes, very embarrassing and just not a pleasant subject and not something you just bring up in casual conversation…”hey do you have butt leakage too?” Not sure what to do here, other than wipe and live!