I am 23 yrs old no children and have been having blood and mucus in my stool for about a yr now. well i just recently went to a gastrenterologist (sp?) and i am getting a colonoscopy and an egd(sp?) next thursday. im nervous yet relieved they will hopefully find what is wrong. its starting to affect me going out, i have pain in my tummy, yes tummy lol,  not when i use the bathroom but in general, the blood bright red is everytime i use the bathroom, but doesnt make the water red, the blood is surrounding the feces also a marbling affect of sometimes cloudy white or sometimes a reddish brown mucus. im very nervous. everywhere i go i need to map out a bathroom just because of the urgency to go. sometimes i run to the bathroom and all that comes out in the toilet is bloody mucus  laying in the bottom.... very very scary... any ideas? please help.

At first this sounds like hemorrhoids - internal ones, and if that in fact is what is causing the bleeding, colonoscopy will discover that. But since the pain is in your stomach as well, it might also point to some intestinal disorder like irritable bowels syndrome (you say you have to map out bathrooms - is it diarrhea?). Do you get constipated? And have you noticed any connection between your diet and this happening? On the other hand, are your periods regular (I'm guessing you're a female)? Any problems there?

Thank you for replying, i have an account now, i was the guest. mapping out bathrooms isnt necessarily because of diarrhea, just all of a sudden needing to use the restroom. Yes i do get constipated. I havent noticed a real connection with my diet and my issues. i usually eat veggies and chicken, occasionly some junk food but it never seems to make a difference. I am female, i have had issues with my period since i started getting them when i was about 12ish. if i dont take birth control pills i hardly ever get a period.

I asked about periods and "female stuff" because other option besides this strictly being intestinal and bowel problem, the pain you mentioned was the sign that this might have something to do with your reproductive organs - conditions like endometriosis and sometimes even polycystic ovaries do cause problems with bowels. This now seems even more likely since the problems with periods you have. Endometriosis is condition where uterus tissue - the one that is affected by hormones each month, for yet unknown causes spreads to nearby organs - bowels are usually the first ones in path, and there this tissue causes problems because it behaves as if it was still uterus tissue, causing pain because it breaks apart as if it was your period. Write back on how it went, hope they diagnose what is going on

that actually makes a lot of sense! the doctors always thought i had PCO but after a few ultrasounds on my ovaries they never got a definite answer. im just hoping after all of this (i dont care what is wrong) they figure out something! so i can live a normal life. it really has affected my social life. thank you so much for helping relieve my worries. i go in the thursday for the colonsoscopy so ill keep you updated. once again thanx so much.

Well, in my case the reason of my all - day bloody stool were hemorrhoids. I just can't say that I was not scared when I saw the blood in my stool for the first time, but I felt relief when this blood just disappeared. 

After two days it was gone, then it came back again, etc...So I was kind of used to this. I believed that this is nothing scary so I never went to see my doctor, which was a big mistake. 

One day I went to the toilet and there was blood everywhere. I believed that I am going to die. I went to ER and my doctor told me that I really needed to do colonoscopy when I saw that I have blood occasionally in my stool. 

They don't say without the reason that we should observe what we left behind us in the toilet...

so what then happened after colonoscopy?..was it normal?

Sounds like Ulcerative Colitis or Crohns Disease. Go get some tests done. No cure for either of these, but there are mediations and many people can manage the disease well with diet.

December 21, 2012

Would you believe that I am replying to say that HUSBAND has had these symptoms and he had blood work done and left with a plastic envelope to submit a bowel movement sample.  He also had an IV given at the doctors to prevent dehydration.  Before we left for home, he had an urgent, uncontrollable session in th building bathroom and felt well enough to work and drive yesterday.  Today he is back in bed and I'm letting him stay there...he's the best judge of how he feels and if he's sick...he's just not going in.  You really have to be the highest authority and research, research, research.  I cannot tell you how many times I was given a prescription and found it in conflict with what I was already taking.  The important thing is to listen to your body and keep searching until you are feeling better.  Let me know what you were eventually found with?  Sincere best of luck.      

Very interesting - I have had the same symptoms for about 10 years.  My Dr told me it was hemorrhoids after having my son about 10 years ago.  The blood went away when I was pregnant the next 2 times which would make sense if it was related to female organs....I may have to press my dr to look into it a little more.  At this point it has been going on for so long that the sight of blood when I wipe and turning the toilet pink is normal (I know...gross, but gets the point across).

Hi there, what did the doctor end up saying? I am having similar issues and will have to get the same tests done. Thanks in advance.