for the past several months my wife tells me that i continually stop breathing through the night, after a while of not believing her i have noticed i sometimes  realize i stop breathing during the day and then take a gasp of air. i dont know whether i have done this my whole life and not realised i am now only 35. last week i have had some really irregular and pounding heart beats and for the past several days have felt light headed.
i am looking for some answers in lamens terms or if any one else has had the same sort of thing happen as maybe it may all be in my head.
Thanks for your responses in advanced
Kash

My hubby also stops breathing in the middle of the night, he's been diagnosed with sleep apnea. You should definitely be tested for this, it is a fatal condition. They do a sleep study to diagnose it. My hubby now has what is called a C-Pap, which is a machine that forces air into his lungs so he doesn't stop breathing in his sleep anymore.

Thanks Antwoinette, made it to the docs today, getting all the tests done. it is more common than i thought, being checked for low oxygen and test for the heart abnormalities. thanks.

No problem, I'm glad to help. Sleep apnea can be scary! I still find myself waking up in the night to see if he's breathing. Luckily it's easy to get under control. However, recently I've been hearing about sleep apnea patients losing their license because of it. I guess they are saying it's dangerous for them to be driving because sleep apnea patients can fall asleep at the wheel because they can fall asleep so quickly. Good luck with all your tests! I hope you get the help you need. :)