Hey,

I had my eyebrows threaded for the first time around three weeks ago. It was interesting and I got a really nice shape out of the process. I would like to have it done again, but I noticed some bumps around the threaded area that took around three days to disappear. They were quite a bit swollen. Is this something that can be prevented? If so, I'd really appreciate that — it really didn't look all that good, although I was still happy with the result on the whole. I was thinking perhaps some cream or ointment before having threading done would help?

:)

I love threading and don't think I'll ever use another hair removal method for my brows again, but yes, it can leas to some bumps. There are some ways to avoid this that you may like to try out. One of the best things you can do is to NOT TOUCH your skin after threading. While threading does not rip off a layer of skin like waxing does, hairs are uprooted from the follicles and there will be tiny wounds as it were, entry points for infection. So if you don't want bumps just don't touch, OK? Along the same lines, also do not apply any products on the threaded area until it has had time to recover, so around 12 hours. No eyeshadow, no concealer, no moisturizer... you get the idea! BUT if you do notice swelling, then an ice cube can help. In that case always wash your hands first. Good luck!!!

Celebrity

Threading is definitely more gentle on the skin than waxing, and may just be the best hair removal method in existence. However, if you do experience some redness or swelling, I would look into the possibility of putting either witch hazel or aloe vera, both of which have anti-inflammatory and soothing properties, on the threaded area of your skin. You can even ask your practitioner to do this for you, right after the threading. Then, as already suggested, avoid touching the area any further unless it is to apply a cold pack. Germs are the enemy, but so is inflammation, so you have to strike the right balance somehow.

Rosie

Well, I got no experience with threading but I do get waxed sometimes. I guess the usual tips like exfoliating beforehand don't apply to threading 'cause threading doesn't really mess with the skin anyway. What MAY help you mind you, is to apply a soothing aloe vera ointment afterwards. And what I do the odd occasion when I get a full body wax is to take Ibuprofen, which is also anti-inflammatory, beforehand. Not only does it mean you hurt less while the process is ongoing but also that you reduce your odds of ending up with bumps and stuff, 'cause they're really a sign of inflammation. Call it a pre-emptive strike if you like...

I am not sure if this is the "right" way to go about it, but here's what I do after I get threaded, and it works well for me. First, when I get home, I wash the area with a cleanser for acne-prone skin. Then, I apply a cream that contains witch hazel, and also a little benzoyl peroxide. These are things I have anyway because I do get acne. I do not get bumps after eyebrow threading if I do this, but on the odd occasion where I forget, watch out... redness and bumps appear! So it clearly does something!

Get one of those aloe vera gels specifically designed to cool the skin!!! It works for other inflammations and for pimples too, but really works like a charm after having your brows threaded. I use it every time now and have not gotten any irritation, swelling or bumps ever since doing that, recommended by my beautician by the way. Awesome stuff, really, and the best thing is that you can buy that at any pharmacy. Just explain what you need it to and they'll show you several to choose from.

Yes, there is plenty you can do to prevent bumps after threading, like cooling gels, aloe, witch hazel and even tea tree oil if it is really bad. I suffer from PCOS and go for full face threadings to get rid of the extra hair on my face that it gives me. It looks fantastic but I did have some problems with bumps and rash-like redness at first. The lady who threads my face asks if I want any cooling agent and now I say yes and I no longer get any issues. I should have said yes in the first place but did not want to put anything on my skin that may cause irritation, ironically.