I get waxed and have been, at the same salon, for years. Though the waxing is the most obvious candidate for the cause of the red bumps here, I have NEVER experienced anything even remotely like this before. And it isn't just in the area where hair grows that I have these red bumps, which are uncomfortable and some are filled with pus also, but also around the armpits in places where I have no hair. 

So... what could be the cause of these red bumps? I have never seen anything like this and it is uncomfortable. I'd like them to go away as soon as possible.

Yes, it can be for years, but in one moment of your life, it can actually start to bother you. That is a way that your body shows something is not OK and that you should check it. I definitely would suggest you visit a dermatologist in order to seek a hidradenitis suppurativa treatment because I am totally sure that this is something that you are dealing with. Sometimes, this can be caused by the stress or anxiety, and I am sure that you can discover what is in your issue. It is treated well and successful as far as I know. 

Oooh... That's a difficult question 'cause so many different causes could be behind the red bumps on your armpits, more than you may think. You could have eczema there for instance. It happens. Folliculitis is another option, and allergic contact dermatitis another. That is before you even get into the more uncommon skin conditions that could be behind that sort of thing!!! In any case, I'd say, see a doc if it doesn't improve with daily showers, stopping current products and using new ones, if it gets worse, if the area feels hot to the touch (infection) and if over the counter ointments don't help. Give it a few more days, apply baking soda, and see if it gets any better. Oh, wear loose clothing and remember it could be your washing powder too if you recently changed that...

Have you considered the possibility that you are dealing with something called Erythrasma? Erythrasma is a bacterial infection that tends to show up in warm and moist areas exactly like your armpits and it can cause the red bumps you describe. You could try using an antimicrobial soap on the area twice daily and apart from that, keeping it dry as much as possible. If that doesn't help though, I'd see your doctor and ask about antibiotics. With antibiotic resistance being a real threat, I would not apply over the counter antibiotic ointments just like that. Check in with your healthcare provider first.

Hope that helps.

Celebrity

My first thought would be to quit waxing for a while and to keep the area clean and free of friction, then see if that leads to any improvement. It's quite possible, if it's hot in your area right now, that something called prickly heat is responsible for your rash, but even if you are dealing with a fungal or bacterial issue here, the same thing will help — bath with a ton of baking soda added to your water. Or just make a paste, leave it on a good while, and wash it off. Baking soda has antimicrobial characteristic and works very well for this kind of thing. Try it!

Rosie

You probably have red bumps in and around your armpits because the follicles are really irritated from the waxing. This can be especially severe if by some chance the wax was contaminated, because your beautician dipped the wax stick in again after using it on another person. It might be a bacterial infection. I would go to the pharmacy pronto to get some anti-inflammatory cream or something. Chamomile lotion may help soothe your armpits as well.

Your armpits (like everyone else's!) are just naturally spots prone to infection and rashes, since that's where you sweat most. Causes of rashes and bumps include atopic dermatitis, sebhorreic dermatitis, contact dermatitis, candida, and that's just the start. Google all those and find out whether they could apply depending on what your rash and bumps look like. Then follow the treatment instructions, because different causes will need different treatments. Certainly give the area plenty of space to breathe and keep it generally clean and disinfected, by using rubbing alcohol and salt-infused lukewarm water compresses, for instance.

Folliculitis can be tricky to get rid of!!! If you do not take it seriously when it first appears, this can definitely develop into a full blown infection.

Because of that, make sure to take the red bumps you are seeing around your underarm area seriously and use hot compresses every day. Wash frequently and make sure your underarms get the chance to breathe and be exposed to air. If you do not see an improvement quickly, it could be that you need antibiotics. So don't let it linger and get some medical attention if things don't get better soon. Either antibiotic ointment or oral antibiotics should clear this up soon.

I am surprised that nobody has suggested the possibility of armpit acne yet, so I'll be the one to bring it up then. Yes, you can get acne in your armpits. Because you said that your "bumps" aren't just in hair-covered areas, a razor rash sounds unlikely. Eczema also does not usually lead to pimples. And also, you mentioned pus. Sounds like acne to me!

If tea tree oil and the like do not help you, it's time to have a chat with your doctor about this because, as the armpits are such a moist environment where a lot of friction occurs, this has the potential to keep on festering and can cause a lot of pain in the end.

I am all for good home remedies whenever it is possible to heal your own body without needing medical attention! But to cure an underarm rash, especially with pimples, you will need to know the cause of the rash in order to treat it effectively. You have no idea what is happening to your underarms and other people cannot tell you either simply based on the description you gave. You may need to see your physician if simple hygiene tips do not improve the situation!

Aaaah... that doesn't sound too pleasant at all! I do have a fair idea of what it might be though. Have you been shaving with a blunt razor maybe? That really leaves the armpits irritated and the hair follicles will start to become really imflamed. Make sure you use a good deodorant after you shave your armpits instead of one that is really aggravating your skin. If you haven't shaved it might be a straight forward case hormonal type pimples. You can get those on places other than your face. I often get them on my butt for some odd reason. I have the impression that pressure has something to do with this. This could be true for your armpits as well.

I have had folliculitis, rather severely, on my legs. It was not just in an isolated spot, but literally like all over my left leg and some on the right leg as well. There was definitely pus involved. It did not hurt as such was just moderately irritating. What I did was go to the pharmacy and ask for advice after showing them the rash. They said it was probably folliculitis, which I already thought so anyway, and gave me this over the counter benzoyl peroxide wash. I stopped shaving a while and after a while it improved. It is definitely caused by bad shaving techniques.