My friend is going to have plantar fascia release surgery. This is the first I have heard about this. What is plantar fascia release? What will happen with her after? Thanks

Plantar fascia release surgery involves cutting part of the plantar fascia ligament to release tension and relieve inflammation of the ligament. Her doctor can use medication that numbs the area for the procedure. It can be done by cutting the area, open surgery, or by inserting instruments through small incisions, endoscopic surgery. Most people have less pain after plantar fascia release surgery.

:cry:

Hi My name is amy and i have plantar fascia release surgery, i have have nothing but problems ever since the surgery, please tell your friend to get a second opinon, i am 39 years old and now fighting for disability, just to let her know that rsd could follow with the surgery and tarsal tunnel and cronic pain syndrome as i have all 3 please please tell her to get another opinion. sorry for such bad news.

I am 44 years old and had the endoscopic release surgery 4 days ago (October 24, 2008). I already have less pain now than I did just prior to the surgery. I am mobile, able to walk without assistance, and look forward to a full and active life again!

Good luck to you!

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear about your recovery.

I am having surgery on Monday. I am surprised to hear that you were up so quickly. Did your doctor tell you to stay off of your foot for 3 days? I was told that for 3 days I have to stay in bed. Then, until my bandages come off (a week after the surgery) I should not go on it much. After my bandages come off, I was told I would have to wear a boot for 3 weeks and then I could put a sneaker on. In March, I will have to do it all again for my other foot.

don't get it done i had mine released in feb last year but still cant walk or stand for long periods
do everything you can physio, orthotics etc before you contemplate surgery. i know am doing all this afterwards and nothings helping
good luck

I agree to some degree, I have suffered from the pain for over 2 years, finally after all the treatments (non surgical) my HMO dr. said, let's go for the surgery. So In December I had the Left foot done, which was the worst of the two... open surgery btw. It took till Feb for me to be just strong enough to have the right done too. Now it's Oct., my pain is still there, just different, I went for physical therapy, but that hasn't helped and at 25 bucks a trip living on disability, impossible to go all the time, but when I did go, it was the same ole thing and none of their suggestions have helped.
Believe it or not in case anyone out there gets this from their doctor, you've been warned: my doctor told me I no longer needed my orthotics, which is not true!! I went without mine as it was still to tender to use them in the early months, but later I started using them again and I noticed that I had less pain at the end of the day, not 100 percent gone, but better than if I went without.

Which just for the record, it sucks having to wear orthotics, I was always the girl that couldn't wear heels or fancy shoes before, so I thought maybe one day I could, but I think that ship has sailed and that is not an option. My friends with my size foot have benefited from me not being to wear these shoes again.

Now I have pain in my left knee, which I had prior to the surgery due to my feet and now the pain is back in my left knee due to again the feet. It's very frustrating having this condition for sure, so I want yall to know you're in plenty of company and I feel your pain, really I do. Good luck to all and I hope my post helps someone. I can say that the open surgery helped, how much I still have to really know as so far not as great as I expected.
God Bless us all and our feet!

I had absolutely crippling pain in both my feet for the better part of 2 years.
I am a 24 year old male, was always active and healthy and this stopped me dead in my tracks. I tried custom orthotics, heel caps, extensive physiotherapy, stretches, blood tests, bone scans, compartment syndrome tests, several cortisone injections - everything you can imagine. Only after this did I undertake plantar fasciia release surgery (endoscopic) on both feet in Oct. It's now December and I am very slowly feeling better, but still not good enough to post positive results, yet. My advice is do not have this surgery until you've exhausted all of the options that I outlined above. If you've been through every option I have, then surgery is unfortuinately your only option.

I have suffered the same problems that you all have as well. I am 27 years old and up until I had this condition a very healthy and active adult. I have had cortisone shots (absolutely horrible reactions), physical therapy, custom orthotics, expensive shoes, the Topaz surgery and finally yesterday I had the full release done on my right foot. At this point I am hoping for better results but not holding my breath. I consider this my last ditch effort and from there I can start to claim a disability. I have been away from my job now for over 10 months and there is no chance of me returning to what I did before. Its hard to go into an interview and have to ask how long I will be required to stand, because due to the economy there are fifteen other people behind me perfectly able and healthy to do the job.

I had Endoscopic Plantar Fascial Release on my right foot in 2003 and have been very happy with the results ever since. My other foot now has the same problem and I'm considering the surgery again...if the cotisone and new orthotic doesn't resolve this. The recovery time was longer than I anticipated back then but I've been pain free since.

Hi

I was born with Telepeeze i had a operation on my ARC Heel age 7, since then i have played semi pro football and coached at a pro level, i am now 52 and have put off the Planta Fascia release operation six times, the pain isnt in my heel its in the tendon from toe to heel it is so tight it feels like snapping, i have had 6 Cort- Injections and they are painful, i am due again to have the operation in Jan 2010 but i am not to sure the the consultant knows the best operation for me, he was going to do the release now he says he is going to slice through the fascia and every consultant i see gives me different answers, i need it doing but can not take long periods away from work, what do you suggest as the pain is very bad.

I had my surgry on March 29th. I am doing great with no pain or swelling. 4 says later i fine mydelf walking and forgetting to take my walker. Yhe best thing I ever had done, I had got where I could not walk without pain. I had so many shots in my foot I would of made a great water sprinker lol .and well be able to go back to work in 4 weeks Good to everyone.

Shelby From Miami Oklahoma

I, too, have had the fascia pain from toe (actually from the balls of my feet) to my heel. Had it in both feet. I had no choice to have the total release done. My fascia ligament had minute tears in it. No amount of exercise or stretching would help. Even though we tried it. And we tried the cortisone shots. To no avail. But with the plantar fasciitis, I also had tarsal tunnel. I ended up having both my feet worked on. Best decision I made. But, because I had the full release done, I'm supposed to wear orthotics all the time. And walking barefoot is a no no. So good luck with your surgery and do everything that the dr tells you to do.

I am so glad you are doing so well. I also had my surgery in April. I am so glad I did...in fact the best decision ever! Before, I wasn't able to walk, sit or even sleep without pain. I had PT, Special shoes, orthotics, boots, casts and the worst...cortisone shots. Nothing worked. I do have some very minor pain but usually if I have been on my feet for a long time. So glad I decided to have the surgery. Good luck with your recovery.

I had surgery when i was 18. now i'm 30. i don't recommend this surgery to anyone. in addition to standard treatment like physical therapy and orthotics, best thing is to allow yourself to rest and get really good foot massages. I can't stress how important it is to stretch, massage, and rest the feet.