Hi guys,

I am 29 years old, female and have been dealing with "posssible" IBS for the past 4 months now.  Been to the doctor a few times and we have done tests, etc and he seems to think I have IBS.  My 3 main symptoms are having to use the washroom almost immediately upon wakening.  I get stomach cramps and off I go.  Not usually diarrhea or constipation but definitely looser than normal and my stools always look different.  They can be soft, somewhat normal, long, broken up, undigested food, etc.  Some days I only go once but on the days my stomach seems to bother me more I can go up to 3 times.  My other symptom is flatulence in the evenings.  It seems to hit me in the late afternoon and then fine when I wake up.  And the most annoying symptom I have and the one that worries me most is that after a bowel movment I get this sensation that something is in my rectum.  It doesn't really feel like I need to go and try but can't, it just feels like an annoying feeling that something is there.  It isn't painful, just annoying.  I can't really explain it!!  My doctor does not seem concerned about it but it does bother me as it makes me think there is something bad in there!  I have never had any bleeding, I have had two negative FOBT test.  No weight loss, fatigue etc.  I have scared myself into thinking I have bowel/colon cancer.  I tend to have high anxiety over this and I think it makes my symptoms worse.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Do my symptoms sound like IBS? I am going back to my doctor next week but would love any input.  Thanks!!!

Hi Chloes Mom,

Unfortunately it does sound like IBS amongst many other intestinal problems.  I find that doctors usually diagnosis IBS because they don't know what else it could be so use that as there scape goat per say.  Is it only your family doctor or are you seeing a gastroenterologist (if not you need to insist on seeing one).

I suffer from an autoimmune disease, Celiac Disease which is common and is a matter of staying off gluten in any of its forms for a lifetime - that is the only cure.  There are Chron's and Colitis (been talking to a new member who just got a diagnosis of this) and in Colitis there are many different forms as there are many parts of our intestines.  There are ulcers, hemroids (sp?), fissures, blockages, etc you name it - which is why it is important to the see the correct doctor for this issue.  It could be IBS but again I would want another opinion and get it from the intestine experts.

Good luck and hope this helps.  Keep me posted.  Ask any questions you have no question is ever too embarrassing, I've been through it all.

Thanks for the quick reply!  I have only seen my family physician so far but he would send me to a specialist if I asked him to.  I am in Canada so sometimes it can take a couple of months to get in.  My doctor did not feel it was necessary for me to see one yet.  He plans to do more blood work next week and said if it continues he will schedule a colonoscopy.  He really didn't seem very concerned when I saw him last but he doesn't know how annoying it is!  I should say that my symptoms do vary in intesity.  One week my symptoms will be very minimal and the next they will be worse.  The past few days I have definitely been more crampy/gassy than usual.  I find when I get the crampy feeling I usually have to use the washroom and then it is better or it will eventually pass without me using the washroom.  Almost every morning though I get the "gotta go" cramps and then after I go it is better.  The feeling I get in my rectum that I can't describe usually happens after my bowel movment.  It can last a couple hours to all day to not at all!  I did have a few weeks in March where all my symptoms pretty much went away and I felt great.  Still morning bowel movements but not right when I got up and they seemed normal.  No gas in the evenings and the weird sensation went away.  I read a lot about IBS being either constipation or diarrhea or a combo of both.  I don't really have either, just looser than normal stools.  Is that possible with IBS?  This all seems so weird to me.  It just came on suddenly.  I will be sure to ask my doctor about a specialist next week :)  Thanks again for the reply.  And when I am thinking about it and get myself all worked up and worried that I have something worse I do find my symptoms are worse.  When I am out and about and keeping busy things seem good. 

Don't worry I'm from Canada as well and I know about the horrible wait times we have to go through, it's the pits!

I also get the "gotta go" signals still to this day. I would get them with my periods, whenever I ate and always, always, always worse in the morning for quite awhile. I would go up to 10 -15 times a day though.

Have you had a stool sample done? Submitted stool to the lab for testing? Ask for a Celiac blood test when you have the testing done as well just to rule that out. The colonoscopy will be good for you to rule anything else out, uncomfortable though but nothing major and nothing to be stressed over.

Good luck with all.

The wait times do suck!!

I have had stool samples done and they all came back fine.  I think he is going to do that again too.  Although this isn't causing me any great pain it is very annoying so some answers would be nice!  Thank you again for the help :)

Hi chloesmama.  I am a 59 year old female in New Zealand, and I cant believe I have found someone with such similar symptoms as I have.  This strange feeling in my rectum has been driving me mad for over 8 months.  I have been to a doctor, had blood tests, a colonoscopy and nothing sinister has been found.  The specialist said my bowel was healthy for my age.  I go to the toilet like you nearly every morning not long after getting out of bed.  That motion is usually the only proper bowel movement I have each day, although it is usually pretty soft.  The rest of the day I often have this unusual feeling that there is still something in my rectum that needs wiping or like I need to go again.  I go to the bathroom try to go, nothing comes or if it does it is tiny - sometimes little pellets or very loose - can be either,  I wipe my bottom and there is nothing there at all sometimes, but this feeling just wont go away.  Please let me know if you find an answer to your problem.  I have tried to go gluten free for the past 3 months and that doesn't seem to make much difference.  I fast 2 days a week, and on those days, things seem to be better.  Not of complete fast - I have about 500 calories only on those days, carrots, mandarins, eggs and gluten free bread.  It is so annoying and like you sometimes I can put up with it, but other times it really gets me down. 

i have had IBS since my late 20's i'm now 67 male have had your symptoms as you described, my symptoms my go away for a years and then flare up again. rectum feels weird like a electrical shock or sensitive, irritated hard to explain as you said. going back to GI doctor next week. i hope you get the help you need too.

I must say I am so relieved to have come across this post. I too have all the same symptoms. It started after I had my first child at 23 and has been an on going battle ever since. I am now 32 and feel at a loss as nothing seems to help. I know there are some triggers for sure but even then its a hit and miss. Wondering if anyone has tried any meds with some luck? I am currently on trimubutine which is 3 times a day and not doing much. Hope to hear from more people out there who know what its like to suffer from this :(