For the last month now I have been having this nagging tingling in my rectum and area between my rectum and penis. It just kind of feels like I should be able to itch it, or have a good bowel movement or pass some gas and it should go away but it hasn't. Sometimes it bugs me all night and so it's worse when I get up. Other days it comes and goes throughout the day. It is very distracting and causing me alot of anxiety and stress. Any ideas?

Hi. Although, I am in the midst of some respite from it, I have the same problem (as far as I can tell).
The sensation, to me, is extremely similar, if not identical, to a sensation I always got (especially as a kid), and still get from time to time, when I would go into a hospital or clinic where there were medical 'smells' and I knew people were being operated on, cut open and whatnot. Call me crazy, but that's what would happen. The sensation would always leave once I left the environment though. The girl I dated in high school knew exactly what I was talking about,,,and we thus referred to it as when your 'butt twitches.'
For the last couple of weeks, though, it's been mostly constant, and worsens with idleness (especially when lying down). I went to the doctor (VA) and they could not tell me anything, especially after having taking a look inside the rectum. Someone told me that it could be IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), which made sense because of the fact that my sister was just diagnosed with that very thing a couple of weeks ago. The doctor said if I had IBS, though, I would be having sharp stomach pains, which I'm definitely not. I was also told (by another person) that I could be due for a colonoscopy b/c I've never had one and I'm 32. That too was shot down by the doc', although she did put in a referral in the off chance (as she referred to it) that there could be something going on with my colon. She wasn't the most encouraging of doctors.
Anyway, don't be discouraged when people tell you it's just in your head, b/c I don't think it is. It truly sucks having this, whatever it is, and it's been causing me a LOT of anxiety and discomfort.
Let me know if this helps; hopefully other people will be able to shed light on this. Thanks for the post.

I think I've got the same. tingling/pulsing in the same areas. It's very unpleasant, and useally comes in phases, as in I had it about 5 years ago and then it stoped (came back on rare occasions) and now it started again a week or two ago. It's causing anxiety and discomfort as well. And the best I can do is try to forget it or do something that makes me forget / not feel it. I can't shed much light on it but someone can, would be great.

OK, this is going to sound really gross.... You MAY have WORMS or some other parasite. They generally will become more active at night. Check out www.drnatura.com. There are pictures and a detailed explanation of your symptoms and the causes.

Let me save your life right now!! im 19 and had the same thing for about a year i worried about it all day everyday i was scared to death i had some nexty level disease like Aids or sumthing but after various tests with nmo prevail and 10 doctors later i finally found out by the smartest one who went to oxford university that it was anxiety think back to when it first started it probably was during a time of anxiety or paranonia espescialluy if you do drugs of some sort just relax and dont think about it trust me it would dissapear its all in your head its just a common symptom of anxiety!!!!

Hello. Call me Styx. I have the same problem as the fellow who made this thread does. It's a tingling feeling in my rectum and it always seems to just stay there even when I'm not thinking about the event that made this happen. I dunno why this happened. Can anyone help me? This is driving me insane and I need some relief.

This is what I found based on the descriptions you provided:

Proctalgia fugax is a severe, cramp-like pain, deep in the anal canal. It usually lasts for a few seconds or minutes, but can sometimes last for up to half an hour. Between attacks there is no pain at all. Most sufferers have only 5 or 6 attacks a year. You may feel a need to defecate urgently, but nothing happens. It may even make you feel dizzy, or give you a headache. It occurs in both men and women. The pain often wakes sufferers at night, and men may have an erection at the same time. Some men experience it after sex. It is a mysterious condition; no one knows what causes it, but it is probably a spasm of the rectal or pelvic floor muscles and does not mean that you have anything seriously wrong. There are various methods of relieving the pain.
Try putting pressure on the perineum (the area between the back passage and the vagina or base of the penis) by sitting on the edge of your bath or on a tennis ball.
Sit in hot water or, alternatively, apply some ice.
Two paracetamol (acetaminophen) tablets and a hot drink may give some relief.
The problem with medications for proctalgia fugax is that the episode is likely to be over before the drugs become active, but medication might be worth trying if your attacks last a long time. The usual treatment is the asthma drug salbutamol, inhaled from a puffer at the start of the attack (Gastroenterology 2006;130:1510–8). This is only available on prescription, for which you would need to see your doctor.

i have the same thing, Feels like a tickle and then sometimes like a jolt of pain straight to my penis. Can't sleep without some help from anxiety medicine. But, I can be in the bed relaxed, walking, standing or sitting. I recently had neck surgery and wondering if it's related. Didn't have it before surgery. Did you find out what it is?

Sounds like pinworms

Thank you for this. I was worried, but this makes a bunch of sense. Just started seeing someone 2 weeks ago for anxiety.

Well ive been having intense anxiety and stress and Ill feel tingling around the back of my head and then it will shoot down to kind of like right under inside my tale bone my lowest spine but like inside and under that it feel verry close to what your describing and it sucks I also feel my jugular throbing and I can here my hart it come and gos and gets worse in stressful situations if it is this try some prescribed meds for anxiety if you cant wate to do that ive bought everything nothing works so dont waste your money on any thing els try kava kava and 5htp also it sounds like a bad idea try and take cold showers thia has helped me so much but it was just so I could function untill i got real meds.