I have problems with my emotions. I am too sensitive. It has been always like that. People around me say that it is very hard to talk with me because they never know will they say something that will hurt me. It is starting to be a burden to me and people close to me. What can I do to stop this overemotional problem?

It is good that you have recognized and face your problem. I am a student of psychology. You should try to focus when you are talking with someone. If it is somebody who is close to you then try to relax and to trust him. Not everyone is against you. You should put yourself on the place of person you are talking to. Try their perspective. Then you will be able to understand why they have told you something that you may find offensive. It is small thing but it is beginning. You can try to find professional help if you fell you need it.

neron is giving you some good advice. everyone needs help sometimes, so if this is something that you need help with, please don't hesitate to ask for it. one of the big problems of being overemotional is what you just described: it can cause a lot of stress for the people around you. when your own feelings are overwhelming, it is practically impossible for you to be able to deal with the needs of your loved ones. What can happen then is that you end up being insensitive to the people that you rely on the most, and eventually they simply get worn out and won't be able to be there for you. it's not their fault and it's not your fault, it just happens that way if you don't let yourself get the help you need. there has to be a reason for your strong emotions, and you owe it to yourself to figure out what that is. maybe a counselor or psychologist or doctor can help you find some answers and help you come up with ways to deal with your feelings

Did you ever stop and think maybe your not the one with the problem? Maybe the people you surround your self with lack empathy? when someone is defensive to a remark they have made, it usually means they subconsciously recognize they where wrong.
If your overemotional because you take everything personally from not just your close peers, than I think I can understand your original question, and can agree with the irritability of your peers, but if it's "just" the close people such as friends & family that make you feel this way, I think you should look at it in another light and recognize their the ones who have the problem.

I can feel empathy towards your situation. I sometimes have similar symtoms of appearing overemotional. This often happens with me, sometimes I get upset, then it takes me quite some time to come out of it. Once I am upset, sometimes the upset becomes so overwhelming.

When I'm upset, (this might sound alittle perculiar!!)...

I put my hand on the upper part of my chest, above my heart, and hold my chest with the flat of my hand, or hold my stomache. Maybe just to 'feel' the upset, or to self..., what's the word? sort of self comforting, as I guess one would do (instead of seeking a 'hug' from a friend or loved one. I then sometimes, I start to 'well-up' more (crying wise) or it feels more intense, feeling like sadness, fear or sorrow.

I really think this (the later part) of my comment here, is a 'habit' making me feel in touch with my sensitive side, though I can understand that upset, isn't always nice and if it goes on, then I may feel a lack of personal inner confidence, through the lack of control I sometimes feel, when upset.

How I think people may perceive me when upset, the worry of feeling too upset, or; the original reasons I may have been upset about, and this original reason not being fully resolved, can make me feel underconfident.

I have been trying harder recently to try to find 'other' solutions, as when I cry, this, I feel doesn't always resolve the original issue, say it is work related, or related to the way someone has spoken to me, their tone of voice, or related to anger over someone elses judgement of me.

I now try to get my point across, if I feel I need to defend myself, but I have also realised, like some people have said on here, that if someone is judgemental towards me, it isn't always a negative thing, especially if I can resolve some for example 'work related' issues, by talking things through with colleagues.

I hope this all makes sense! Does anyone else understand this? :-)

I have already just posted, but, just a thought, if you are able to understand some of the reasons behind the emotion in some situation, this may help.

**(note though; that I believe it is natural to be upset sometimes and I do believe that some people are more sensitive than other, it may be that you are someone who feels alot of empathy for others as well as sometimes or often feeling emotional as well!)

I have been reading: 'Psychology, A graphic guide to your mind and behaviour', not just so that I can understand myself, also as I find it interesting, and interesting understanding the behaviour of others.

I don't think it is overly healthy, in my experience to dwell on unhappy events too much, and to become too involved in my own upset, but I now try to do productive things to help me, like fresh air and distraction, after I have tried to resolve what was worrying me.

or, when I feel I have cried enough, or got a little overstressed then, I naturally come out of it, usually, when I start to do something productive, to solve the problem, simple things, like writing a list, talking to someone about how I am feeling, taking advice, or doing something to help someone else, which can also improve confidence.

I hope this helps :-) :-) All the best!!

I posted this on another thread but seems this could help in this one too.
My understanding is that there is a part the brain that deals with emotions. Overly emotional people have higher than normal activity in this area. This means you experience sadness, happiness, disgust, love, excited and all other feelings associated with emotions to more of an extreme. About 1 in 5 people are this way. How you express or internalize this is what is different about these types of people. My wife and some of my employees exhibit this type of behavior. So I have spent time educating myself, observing and even treating this. Its normal to be this way but what I have found is the people who have a problem with this are the ones who have negative self-talk or a negative self-image of themselves. The main problem with overly emotional people, although they can be exciting and fun people to be with, they also make decisions and make assumptions with their emotions. This leads to bad decisions and wrong assumptions that are not based on logic. This wears on other people who can’t handle these negative people, who think everybody is out to get them and usually have few friends or can’t seem to keep friends long term.
The treatments I have found for this are:
Neurofeedback – This can help bring that over activity to a normal level – Used this on my wife, myself and an employee and does help.
Antianxiety medications - Helps level out this area of the brain. - This is an assumption base on what I have read and my observation of how it affects people who have been on these types of medication.
Counseling – A therapist can help you with these negative feeling and help turn them to more positive ones.
Self-help - If your motivated to change, there are books and audio books that can help. Recommend reading “How to make friends and influence people” by Dale Carnegie. Oldie but goodie.
Hormone therapy - Have read that an imbalance of hormones can cause this also.

My understanding is that there is a part the brain that deals with emotions. Overly emotional people have higher than normal activity in this area. This means you experience sadness, happiness, disgust, love, excited and all other feelings associated with emotions to more of an extreme. About 1 in 5 people are this way, including men. How you express or internalize this is what is different about these types of people. My wife and some of my employees exhibit this type of behavior. So I have spent time educating myself, observing and even treating this. Theory is, if everybody is out to get them and they are overly afraid to do something that could hurt themselves, then you survive longer than the people who are reckless and unpredictable. The main problem with overly emotional people, although they can be exciting and fun people to be with, they also make decisions and make assumptions with their emotions. This leads to some bad decisions and wrong assumptions that are not based on logic. Its normal to be this way but what I have found is the people who have a problem with this are the ones who have negative self-talk or a negative self-image of themselves. This wears on other people around them who can’t handle these sometimes negative people who at times think everybody is out to get them and usually have few friends or can’t seem to keep friends long term.
Antianxiety medications - Helps level out this area of the brain. - This is an assumption base on what I have read and observation of how it affects people who have been on these types of medication.

@guest 3/21/11 --   How can you see inside my soul?!   I've tried everything to treat all sorts of issues from despondence, depression, anxiety, anger, temporal lobe seizures, etc, etc, etc.   Nothing ever helps moderate enhanced feelings, other than turning me into a mindless zombie that has no feelings at all.  Physicians never seem to consider treating me for illness that causes abundant capacity for love, loyalty, trust, and joy.  I'm just marginalized for the strong negative emotions I may feel.  I'm intelligent and can have tremendous focus when motivated, but after 50 years of somewhat failed life, I'm coming to the conclusion that it is not self-discipline or lack of fortitude that sets me apart.   I may not even be ill.  I may simply FEEL more than the average joe.  Unfortunately, since I've dwelled on the negativity of life –and being male– emotion has never been an asset.   Perhaps it could have been if I had accepted it as normal sooner.  Perhaps this is what Benni is saying, too.   "A problem with emotions" is only because it is out of phase with the people that surround us, not because it's an illness.   And Benni wants a way to cope with or manage this difference.  Your insightful comment  doesn't imply failure or suggest handicap.  Thank you!

Isn't there some kind of Meds a guy can take for this? Being overly emotional in our western culture is a handicap.

I actually understood what you said :)