I think im depressed, i know everyone thinks that because im a teenager im just being moody but i know its not just that i have the symptoms; i consantly feel out of control and upset i burst into to tear because im upset, i have run away from home, i cant sleep, im low on energy all the time, my temper is horrible, i dont want to talk to anyone and i have thought about suicide. I feel like i cant talk to my friends because they will judge me and my parents will think its just because im a teenager or they will blame themselves! How do i tell them? And how can i feel better?

Hi Honey! Depression is VERY common in teenagers - due to either chemical, hormonal imbalances or stresses etc. unfortunately most people just expect teenagers to be "wonky" with their moods and miss the signs of true depression! You also need to know that this MIGHT not be depression at all, it might have to do with hormone imbalances or something with your thyroid! For right now Google a Depression test/check list! And see if the majority of the questions fit your experiences or feelings! IF they don't Google Thyroid problem check list! There are MANY medical issues that mask themselves as a depression but are just because of similar symptoms! The Word Depression is used a LOT to cover MANY different emotional/medical/mental problems! So try not to label yourself as "depressed" OK!? As people view this differently than say "Bi Polar" or "Manic Depressive" Many people think "Oh she will snap out of this down point" When they think it's the generic "Depression" So after looking at the 2 tests, I want you to make an appointment with a doctor OR talk too your school nurse or counsellor! If you have a good relationship with your parents, sit them down and say "I think I have a problem and need to get checked out, and I am NOT over reacting, i am having a hard time functioning and can't really deal with this right now" When you get to your doctors, talk to him/her about getting a thyroid or hormone test - to see if there is something wonky going on! Which WILL help you if they find out that you are too high or low in certain hormones!

Also know that if you are classically depressed, this is NOTHING to be embarrassed about! This is an illness just like MS or any other debilitating illness, and you need to see a specialist so you can live a normal happy life with some counselling and medication! I am a mother of 2 boys and have been married for 22 years! Yet I still take anti depressents - so I can be WITH my family - in mind and body! And at first I had a terrible time dealing with the fact that I was depressed, BUT the right medication has helped me SO much I don't know what I would have done without them! It was like a light was put on in my life! I'm NOT a huge advocate for drugs, BUT IF they are needed they are needed! Just like insulin for a diabetic!

So reach out honey, believe me you are NOT alone with this, infact quite the opposite! So start talking to the people closest too you first and then get some help! I am also on here to talk to you too OK? BIG hugs and just know it WILL get better with a bit of work!

I googled a checklist and it came up as extreamly high chance of bipolar depression. I know i should talk to my parents but its not as easy to actually say it to them, i have a very bad relationship with my parents in fact i hardly speak to them at all. I spend all my time out of the house or in my bedroom. I want to tell one of my very close friends but she panics a lot when people are ill or upset and im worried that she will judge me or think im insane. My friends are actually upset with me at the moment because i keep making up excuses about why im so upset all the time, but if i told them they would act differently towards ne and i dont want that. I just feel out of control and i dont thinks thats right because its my life. Im also worried that my parents wont listen to me, my dad will just see it as an excuse and my mum will blame herself and think shes been neglecting me (she hasnt, ive just not wanted to speak to anyone). I dont feel comfortable talking to the school nurse and if you met her you would know why. I have been talking to one of my friends and she knows all about it and about how ive thought of suicide but the problem is so has she and she too is depressed and she is also having a tough time with her family. It feels good to talk to someone and it takes a lot of pressure off me to keep it hidden but we are both in the same position though. Im just so confused and upset, i feel like i cant cope anymore and im scared.

Lottie, thank you for finally replying to her, she will try and help you, we will get through it! I promise you! Loveyoulotsbaby! Xxx

love you too, see you tomorrow and its not my fault the internet connection was bad!

I hear a LOT of people in Britain are having issues with their internet connection - could be the weather - who knows! I want both of you girls to lean on each other and support each other - IF one of you is down, have the other try and cheer you up or just listen! I am HERE for both of you! But my input is words and advice, where between you girls you will have someone to listen and also understand and a bud to give a hug once in awhile! I promise you both that you are DEFINITELY not alone with these overwhelming feelings! We just have to work through them with the best option and hang in there! This is what I tell my boys "Today might be the worst day of your life, BUT tomorrow could be the BEST!" And I do know that from a depressed persons point of view they can barely think about tomorrow! BUT you don't want to miss out on what could change your life! And leave devastation and heartbreak behind you! Remember that I and BILLIONS of others have been there done that - being a teenager - and I would say that 99% of them would NEVER want to be a teenager again! You will hear about the "good old days" from parents, grand parents, BUT unfortunately you don't hear about the day that "Cameron ? Whacked me over the head with a thick piece of wood etc etc etc " Parents unknowingly put this basically fake view of their own lives as teenagers - with words like "Oh I was NEVER depressed, just shake it off etc." Well that's bull, virtually ALL teenagers have some sort of depression! It's the nature of the game - being hormonal, stresses, and pressures etc. it gets ALL of you at some point!

Another good thing - other than talking to me ;-) - is to write a diary! Of what is going so bad, and what you could possibly do to change it! Like a goal kind of thing! I have told others to do the same - to get a list of things to do so you can reach your goal - like move out, get more freedom, have more responsibility etc. And also WHEN, WHO, WHY, WHAT, WHERE did ALL of these bad feelings start! This can give insight too! BIG Hugs to both of you and keep talking OK?

Ill try to keep a diary, and me and "wassup" will keep supporting eachother. I tried to talk to my parents about it but couldnt actually say that i think im depressed so i just said ive been feeling quite upset lately, they said its hormones and that ill cheer up soon. I dont know why its so hard to make them understand. One of my best friends has sort of noticed that somethings wrong but i dont want to talk to her because she will judge me and she also has too many problems of her own without me bothering her. Things are just getting worse and now i cant concentrate on things at all and my parents and teachers are upset with my grades getting worse. My other friends are upset and think im turning into a loner because im not talking to them as much.

Usually for teachers grades slipping is a HUGE sign of things happening! Most parents don't usually think their teenager is depressed they usually think it's hormones! BUT this doesn't take away from the fact that you NEED them to listen! So when you feel ready - I'm not going to push you to do something - sit them down and say "I want to tell you both something and I NEED you to listen to me!" and just tell them how you have been feeling! Also tell them that you have been feeling this way ALL the time not just at certain times of the month! Being British is a curse too - I am - in that older British people think "Oh just shake it off, stiff upper lip etc." They can't really comprehend deep depression! And it's only in the last 10 or 15 years that there is more and more support for people with depression! Is there a counsellor at your school or a teacher you could talk too? MANY teachers take courses in how to watch the signs for teenagers! And I think with your grades dropping and you becoming a recluse is a HUGE sign! And I think if you were to MAKE yourself heard - either with your parents or with your teacher - then they will be able to put 2 + 2 together! Sometimes when speaking to someone it is best for you to lead them to the same decision - if that makes sense! As in, IF you were to come out and say "I think I'm depressed!" then people think "Oh she's reading WAY too much into this" BUT if you were to say "I don't feel like going out with my friends, I can't concentrate at school, I always think about life being better if I wasn't here, etc etc," Then the OTHER people come to that conclusion and are more likely to say "You know what! I think you suffer from depression and we need to get you some help" Kind of like what you did with me! You said how you felt and I told you what it COULD be! As I said before honey, it could be hormones, thyroid, etc etc. BUT regardless you NEED to be seen by a doctor for him/her to run tests to determine what is going on with you!

I will ask you what I asked your friend! Say you won the lotto tomorrow and you could fulfill ALL your dreams, wants and desires! Or think about the BEST thing that could happen to you! Do you think you would STILL feel the same way inside? This is a HUGE Sign if your symptoms are fleeting or getting engrained! When I was first diagnosed, I wouldn't have cared less if I won the lotto! And I was locking myself away from the world - friends, family etc. And when I was asked a list of questions by my doctor it was like a light went on! So you need the same thing! And once again you are DEFINITELY NOT ALONE with this ailment honey! And it is NOT your fault that you feel this way! You can't control hormones, or brain waves etc. So don't ever blame yourself for this illness OK? Sit your parents down and TALK and BE HEARD!

I wouldnt really care if i won the lotto and i cant even think about tomorrow, i would probably feel the same because i know that a lotto wont make me feel better and i also dont think its possible for all my dreams to be fulfilled, infact i may feel worse because someone else probably needs it more than me.

I know i need to tell someone but its hard and sometimes people just wont listen! I try to say ive been feeling very upset and that ive considered suicide but people dont take me seriously.

Hi Lottie.My names Jim(yes,im a guy) and iI live in Scotland.I actually got on this page by accident.When I was a teenager I suffered from depression and I was very unwell.I just wanted my family to understand how I felt as they didnt understand what I was going through.I used to take hours to get to sleep then id wake up around 5am and couldnt sleep again.Its very unfortunate you feel depressed and you say you have suicide thoughts.If its that bad you should really see a doctor as suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and you wont be depressed forever as depression goes away treated or untreated.Im sure you are a girl and im an educated man in human anatomy.It could be,at your age,your cycle hormones,like progesterone and oestrogen are all out of sinc and it could take something like the contraceptive pill to get your balance right.On the other hand,maybe its not that and maybe you are depressed as its a difficult time growing up as a teenager.When you are depressed its very difficult to see light at the end of the tunnel and maybe you need medical intervension.You,ve got to understand that actually thinking of harming yourself is suicidal thinking but having fear you will lose control and harm yourself is totally different and that is fear and anxiety.We are talking about your life so im not going to say "eat well and exercise."If its that bad,and I think it is,then its really better you go to a doctor and they may put you on prozac or something.If you do go on anti depressants remember they take a while to work and sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.In a pharmacy theres a herbal drug called "St Johns Wort" which is an anti depressant.In germany doctors prescribe it for depression and its as good as,if not better,than conventional anti depressants...there was a documentary on tv about the drug a few months back.However,I think you should go to a Doctor.Take care and hang in there.Jim.

hi Jim, i am a girl and i understand what you are saying but its really hard to talk and be honest with people when i just want to shut away from everyone else. i hav tried talking with people but they always say ill get over it, or "stop being so dramatic". And the people i talk to treat me differently or think im wierd or unstable, am i?

I dont think you're unstable and you probably have a lot going for you but you only see the dark side at the moment.Your confidence seems a bit low at the moment.Sometimes we get angry because we feel misunderstood and nobody seems interested.Trust me.If you harmed yourself you would leave behind a lot of sad people who would not get over it.Im not suggesting you are a loner but its important you speak to people and talk about how you feel.Its good to get interests...a boyfriend or girlfriend...someone you can talk to about the way you feel.Its all very well coming on here and exchanging a few messages with me and other guys or girls but its the ones who are close to you,like your parents,who can help you the most by getting you help should you need it.Your doctor will help you...your priest or minister and most importantly,the people who care and love you will help you...your mum and dad.It may just be your age but even at that you should,nt be suffering as there is help out there for you and your loved ones will support you.Take Care.

thanks, i know i need to talk to someone but i dont want to get on the topic about boyfriends at the moment and i have been talking to a close friend (wassup, we do actually know eachother though) and we are helping eachother, im not religous and i do not have a good relationship with my parents.

Hi honey! Since you don't have a good relationship with your parents, it will be hard to SNAP them out of their denial! I will tell you that I believe that EVERY teenager on this planet thinks their parents don't understand! And your parents were NO different when they were your age! Myself and my good friends - when we were 13/14 - swore that we would raise our children differently and we ALL have! We are VERY open with our children! We do talk night - turn off the tv, no video games no cell phone, no answering the phone, and just TALK it could be about what is bugging someone or just everyday stuff! And NONE of us are allowed to react negatively and we HAVE to listen and ALL come to a decision on how to deal with it! Do I have a perfect home life? NO! Can my kids come to me about Anything? YES! And that is what this is about! YOU have to be able to go to SOMEONE! Regardless if they are family, friends, teachers or strangers! You need to know that this is NOT going to be forever! And it WILL get better, you just need to be heard, helped and positioned in life to take on the future!

I truly feel that kids/teenagers nowadays have a WORSE time of it then each generation before! You have regular stuff - school, parents, boys, friends, then you add on the CONSTANT bombardment of "perfection" and wanting to be something that isn't really true! People become famous for doing absolutely nothing! then they build this persona that kids/teenagers try to emulate, but don't realize it's fake! I feel for you honey and the THOUSANDS of others out there in the same boat! So NOW as a society we have to figure out HOW to help you and the rest succeed!

As I have told others, I want you to write down WHAT you WANT - family, school, personally etc. And then lets see HOW to get this and get help for the parts that you can't do alone! You can also personally email me on here - there is a little letter above my moniker and you can click on that so we can talk personally! Even though you and your friend are in similar situations you both have different needs and backgrounds, so even though it's good that you have each other, there is still that distrust that occurs when you are putting yourself out there and being vulnerable and worried about others knowing your deepest secrets! Thus this site being valuable as we don't know who you are!

So REALLY think of what you want RIGHT now, and IF it's doable and WHOM is needed and WHAT is needed to get to the point! And then we will work on how to get to the point OK?

I have a friend who was diagnosed with depression and most of your symptoms i would suggest a therapist or anti depressants to help