I just found out about a week ago that I am pregnant and I have been using oxycontin. I am about 9 weeks right now. I have lowered the amount that I have been taking to about 20mg a day. I want to quit so that I can have a healthy baby. I don't want to put myself through withdrawals because I know that can cause a miscarriage. I called the suboxen clinic and they said that I can't take it while pregnant. I don't know how long it will take to ween myself off of oxycontin or if that is even safe? Is there anything that I can do quickly? If possible, I don't want to stay on any medication throughout my whole pregnancy? I have heard of using a small dose of methadone. I don't know if it would just be safer to ween myself off the oxycontin? I am already trying to take a little less everyday. Can you please help me!!!!! I really want the best for my baby!

First of all, what is best for your baby (and yourself) is to goto the doctor immediately. If you cannot, go to the ER and tell them exactly what is going on. There are so many treatments available and so many options. The best thing for you and the baby is of course to stop taking any kind of medications, especially if you are addicted to them. They will and do cause harm to the unborn baby. Just as with smoking, it is best to just quit, and as you are quitting remember WHY you are doing it.

So you want to do what's best for your baby but you don't want to go through the whole 48 hours of taking yourself off the drug? As in, 5mg less followed by 5mg less etc.; you'd rather just keep taking opiates at a low dose...right. And who cares about this baby?

IF YOU DO CARE ABOUT YOUR BABY YOU WANT STOP AT ONCE BECAUSE YOUR BABY FEELS EVERY BIT OF IT AS MUCH AS YOU AND IT WILL CAUSE WITHDRAWALS. THE BEST WOULD BE TO GET YOURSELF LOW AS POSSIBLE UNTIL YOU CAN GET INTO A INPATIENT REHAB.

I think you should all do your research before you comment. We do not know her situation. I have eight slipped disks, degenerative disk disease, and two broken bones in my back. My obgyn cut my meds down to two lortab 7.5 twice a day while I was pregnant and my baby was born absolutely perfect with no withdrawals whatsoever. You do not know her situation or why she has to take this medication. nor do any of you understand what it is like to live every single day of your life in chronic never ending pain. As long as you take a low dosage your baby will be just fine, although switching to something like lortab or lorcet would be a better choice than oxycontin.
Talk with your Doctor, believe me they will help and reassure you. My baby is now a normal happy one year old and never had any side effects whatsoever.

to regular05, i think your response was very rude, she obviously wants this baby and wants it to be healthy and if she slowly weans off the drug she will loose the baby. I'm in a similar situation except i got off the oxy's and now im on the suboxone program and i have just got pregnant. i want what is best for my baby too but from everything ive heard it puts too much stress and presure on the fetus/baby and you will loose it or it will have birth defects.
to concerned, i know you just want the best for your baby. if you go on the suboxone program or subitex that is probably the safest option for you and your baby. from what ive researched the withdrawals for your baby are not too bad.
I hope you have a healthy baby

to those this may concern, i was once on oxycontin due to my own stupidity but thats a long story, i was on a high amount where i got so use to having ad takeing them my body built up a high tolerance... which meant i had to take more... i was on bou 400mg or maybe more, it is very dangerous to carry on taking these pills during pregnancy and i would recommended you go to a drug clinic or doctor and go on subutex, i am now on subutex n have been for a while... it isd very good n controls ur withdrawals infact you have none.... it is safe too during pregnancy ur baby may turn out wit withdrawal symptoms when born but not rele bad nothing to worry about anyways... he has a lil medication n all done... it also helps to breastfeed the baby also if this is the case cos it helps the babys withdrawals. anyhow ur baby will b normal and in some cases your baby will not even have withdrawal symptoms.

i hope this helped those who are concerned... ive also been inb this situation you see, but all the best and not to worry!! ur baby will be healthy and beautfiul jus like any other baby born. XxXxXxX<3

I was hooked on loratab and was taking 7-9 10 mg a day during my pregnancy. I WAS GOING THRU A HORRIBLE ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP AND HAD NO WHERE TO TURN SO I TOOK THE PILLS FOR MY PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL PAIN. MY BABY WAS BORN AND HAD PPHN. HE ALMOST DIED. HE WAS THE SICKEST BABY IN A 120 UNIT NICU. HE SPENT 5 WEEKS THERE. THE FIRST TWO HE WAS ON LIFE SUPPORT. NOTHING IN THE WORLD HURT WORSE THAN KNOWING THAT THAT POOR BABY WAS GOING THROUGH ALL THAT PAIN BECAUSE OF MY SELFISH ADDICTION. IF I COULD GO BACK I WOULD LAY IN BED IN PAIN EVERYDAY UNTIL THE BABY WAS BORN. I FEEL LIKE sh*t ABOUT THE WHOLE THING. I THINK I AM GOING TO GO TO HELL. AT LEAST MY BABY IS OK NOW, BUT IT COULD HAVE EASILY GONE THE OTHER WAY. THEN I WOULD HAVE KILLED MYSELF KNOWING I KILLED MY BABY!!!!!! :$ :$ :'(

please SEE A DOCTOR! do not try to ween yourself off of the drug. do not stop taking the drug. i know those above are trying to be helpful and common sense would tell you that any pregnant mother should not ingest any drugs, but the side effects of withdrawal could be far worse for the fetus than the drug exposure. the risk of miscarriage rises exponentially when one is experiencing withdrawal symptoms. FIND A PHYSICIAN ASAP and DO NOT TRY TO MANAGE THIS ON YOUR OWN. an obstetrician should be able to direct you to someone who can help. or speak with a family doctor. or someone at the health department. you really need a medical professional helping you with this. there are safer alternatives to oxycontin (as stated above), but they need to be managed by a physician.

First of all you shoud already have an OB doctor. which is the doctor that will be seeing you though out your regnancy. if you dont know how to ge one just call one any hospital in your area or any perent planning clinic and in your area, let them know your pregnant and they will take care of that. then ones you have your ob doctor you should tell her about your addiction. the reason why im telling you this is because i was an addict of oxycontint and was doing at least 120mg a day. so i decided to get clean and told my family and my best option was the methedone clinic becuase that was the most afortable option every other inpatient rehave place was between 3000 to 7000 dollars. anyhow, after 2 to 3 weeks of being in the program i became pregnant. at that time i was in a detox program, which was working great, i was clean and not in withdraws. but ones i became pregnant i was told that i needed to stay in the methedone program untill my baby was borne. becuase like any other oppiet i will be haveing some king of withdrawl and that WILL CAUSE A MISCARIGE. so i talked to my ob doctor and another doctor i had at a different hospital and they bolth told me that was my best option. and that when woment that are addicted to heroin, oxicontin, or heavy opiet use and become pregnant they are put in a methedone program if they want to keep their baby and keep him health becuase its the safes option. do some reasearch on 'METHEDONE BABIES" OR "METHEDONE USE FOR PREGNANT WOMEN". good luck and get urself a doctor he/she will help you.

I have realized that you can't receive much useful information from guests. I am sure a few are OK, but it seems like most are on here with some kind of hidden agenda. Either someone wants to just full on verbally assault someone or there is a religious nut job trying to get there last brownie point in for heaven. There aren't any brownie points in heaven so quit being a know-it-all and gain some compassion. People wouldn't be on here trying to get advice if they didn't care. 8-|

One of my good friends abused prescription medications while pregnant with her first baby, she lied and tried to tell people that her OB was prescribing her 200 vicodins a month for "hip pain". Her baby was born blind and with something called septo-optic displaysia. She has 10 minute long seizures on a daily basis, has to be given tons of injections daily, has to be given a growth hormone. Her little girl is now over a year old and can not sit up or roll over. She is now pregnant again, and this time has a severe addiction to oxycontin. She seems to think that none of the drugs she takes can get through the placenta.... So sad to think she is going to cripple another child for life. Please think about this when you think it is not "that bad" to pop pills while pregnant. What is 9 months of your life to ensure someone elses ENTIRE life is healthy? Do the right thing.

Dear concerned,

Yes, you can take "subutex" throught your pregnancy! I know the head nurse & M.D. at a wonderful clinic in NJ and they both told me that many patients have conceived, carried and delivered very healthy babies while on this medication. Unlike methadone, NO withdrawl symtoms for the baby either. This is just another great thing about "subutex".

Good luck! As always, please seek the care of a trusted, knowledgeable & caring M.D. while going thru this.

anonymous

i am myself on oxynorm 10mg 2 six times daily but i have only just found out im 11 weeks pregnant i so scared that my baby is going to have health issues of born blind like one woman said on here, i have a appt with the docter today im so scared. can anyone please give me some advice

I know what your going through. Im 18 weeks and am doing soboxon, I didnt know I was so far along so now im trying to do what I can to have a healthy baby, its a really scary situation. I know its my fault im addicted to this but its not a good idea to just stop doing it cause you will go through withdrawals. I was pregnant one time before and I wanted to get on the white soboxon (which is for pregnant woman) so i went to the only clinic in my town and they said methadone, but I didnt like the idea of getting off one drug to get on another. I had already withdrawn for 4 days when I was pregnant before I went there and I wont up losing the baby at 3 months, it wasnt just the drugs there was a few other things as well. But the doctor said that you going through that is bad for the baby, i dont know about you but I cant eat, sleep, move, or really function at all, and being pregnant is already stressful to begin with. I suggest that you go to the doctors, I dont like the methadone program (its not for me) but I have alotta friends who have done it when pregnant and everything was fine. I do know that soboxon is used to help people get of heroin, and opiates such as oxys, and the white ones are given to pregnant woman. Just talk to your doctor im sure they will help you do the right thing for the baby.