My husband and I are trying to get pregnant. I'm 33 and he's 36. He has chronic pain and is on methadone to help manage it. Several months ago, his doctor put him on Androgel because of low t levels and really downplayed the potential fertility impact.

I recently went to a fertility doctor because I have endometriosis. We started the testing, and they did a semen analysis and found that my husband had zero sperm. We were shocked and as you can imagine devestated. I've done a bit of research on this board and in other places, and it seems like the the androgel is the most likely culprit. I've seen several posts complaining about this issue and haven't seen anything about women getting pregnant while husbands were androgel. It seems like androgel can cause temporary infertility. I know methadone can impact fertility and t-levels, but I've read about women who've gotten pregnant while husbands were on methadone. Does anyone have experience with this happening while husband was on either methadone or androgel?

My fertility doctor wants my husband to go off androgel. But his pain med doctor decided to lower his methadone prescription instead. We really want him to come off the androgel because we think its the culprit that caused the sperm count to go to zero.
We are going to a uroloigst in late January (earliest we could get appt).

Also--I'm thinking about ordering fertility supplements for my husband and myself. Any one have any success with them? Do you think they will help?

Would love folks' opinions and/or suggesetions. We are both really upset and my husband is very depressed, which doesn't help his chronic pain.

Thanks in advance.

I noticed that this is almost a month old and was wondering what happened at the Urologist. I have a similar situation. My DH is on Methadone and was diagnosed with Low T in Feb. 09. He was prescribed Androgel to help the T, but the doc didn't tell us that it would cause low to zero sperm count. We were TTC the whole time. After over a year of trying, I went to my doc for testing and DH went for SA, results were zero sperm. He went for a second to be sure and same results. He saw a Urologist last week and he is taking DH off Androgel and starting Clomid to get sperm count up (praying).

My husband has been on Androgel for 7 years for Low T. We conceived our son a month after he started Androgel (we were VERY lucky, we got pregnant before his sperm levels dropped). We tried again right away after giving birth and here we are 6 years later and no second child. I have done a lot of research over the years and I can tell you FOR A FACT that Androgel causes zero sperm. My husband was tested several years ago and he had zero sperm. The only solution is to get off the Androgel, IMO. I can't talk my husband into getting off of it because he felt so horrible (headaches, lethargic, depression) before getting on it. He feels that we have one child and he's okay with that. Me, I desperately want another child.

HELP!! I am taking methadone, not a high dose, for pain-arthritis, I have taken that for 5 years or so. I also took psychotopics zoloft and seroquel for 2 years-ending on December 15th, 2009 and my doctor then prescribed androgel for about 6 months prior to Feb. of 2010, which I applied every couple days in doses once in morning, once at night. Well, we were trying to get pregnant and nothing was happening so we did lab work and my sperm count was ZERO!! No kidding. On a side note, I have a son so I am not impotent. Anyway, I found that Zolft causes some men to have ZERO sperm so I quit the Zoloft and Seroquel. That was On Dec. 20th or so. I also quit androgel, which was not that long after, actually in February. The methadone is my next target, currently take about 9 -5 mg pills a day. The thing is, I am sure it was not the methadone that caused the decrease in sperm. I checked my sperm about 2 weeks ago and definitely saw live sperm in the semen, so there is hope! I have not had the lab work as of yet, but will be doing it this next week. I understand that it can take 3 months for sperm to be produced, so I am sure that they will be back. I currently have reduced my methadone to 7-5 mg tabs a day, and will be off that in the next few weeks. I am not sure that is necessary, as from all indications, it was the combination of Zoloft and Androgel that caused this. Both have been known to stop sperm production. I am checking sperm count in the next few days as astated so this will help others in this same boat. I have a low sex drive but I have absolutely no problem with erection or ejaculation. I know this sounds really gross but I hope it will help someone out there. Feel free to ask any questions. I am in my lower 40's and we desperately want that 2nd child so I will do whatever it takes to get there. Even enduring massive amounts of pain! In a nutshell, I really think, no, I am convinced that it was not the methadone, it was the androgel, so if you husband stops the androgel, he will get back to normal. Let me know if that is the case right now. Let me know if the methadone decrease helped also. Each person is different but I am convinced that I can get back to normal sperm but I need more time to pass from my use of androgel and zoloft. I will update when the results are back. I would love to hear any stories that will say there is hope for my count to return to normal. I am 100 percent sure it will but it would be nice to hear of others who were there at one time. Thank you!

Hi, My Fiance and I have been trying to get pregnant now for a year and he was taking Methadone for about 5 years due to he broke his back, he has been off them (because we are doing anything it takes at this point and the health risk on his behalf) now for 3 wks and my doctor told me his low sperm count is due to the Methadone.. Does any one know how long it takes for sperm count to come back after the discontinue use of Methadone??? I have been looking all over the internet for answers and found this web page and it has had more useful information than anything I've looked at this year. Please help us!!!

Did you ever get an answer? I was wondering the same thing. My bf doesn't take it anymore....but I haven't got pregnant yet. This is the only thing I can think of that would cause me not to get pregnant.

androgel does give zero sperm. get off it to conceive a child. my son is walking proof.

WOW! I was trying to get my wife pregnant for 7 months with no luck. I started the Androgel and one month into it, I got her pregnant.. Lucky I suppose. After two months of Androgel, I don't think I will come off it do to the lethargic and depressing feeling I too experienced!

Hi there does methadone make a man infertile?

DOES METHADONE REALLY CAUSES NO SPERM COUNT

And did the test results show that the mathadone had any negative side effects on your fertilty?

My husband was on Androgel for 2yrs. I was so worried that it caused him to be sterile. He went off Androgel for 3 months and we are expecting our first bundle of joy! I hope that this gives hope to any ladies dealing with this. BTW, my Hubby feels better without the gel than with!

No,androgel and Methadone are not going to affect the male's fertility