My husband has been taking methadone for a little over a year now. Before he started taking it he had a normal to above normal sex drive. His sex drive has continually dropped because of the methadone, which isn't good considering we are trying to concieve. Most of the time when we have sex he cannot even finish. I was wondering if there is anyone else who is having this problem, and what we can do about it. We have talked to his counciller (not spelled right i know) but there wasn't anything she could do considering she isnt a doctor. Also he can't get into the doctor at the methadone clinic for anything other that dosing changes, and he isn't in on a regular basis. I don't know what to do, I am stuck and depressed.

First, you are wrong that your husband can't get in to see his clinic doctor for anything other than dosing questions. ANY health item related to his methadone treatment qualifies him to see the MD, and this certainly is one of those. So he should pursue that appointment right away.

The problem you describe is common to methadone treatment. For most it resolves itself in a short period of time once the body becomes acclimated to the new medicine, but for some the problems you describe persist. This is why he needs to seek that medical consultation.

And what he will likely be told is that, once other medical reasons for this problem are eliminated, he is then a candidate for therapies like VIAGRA or CIALIS to assist in overcoming this problem while he is in methadone treatment. It's an easy fix for a serious problem for young people like yourself. And there is no shame in it, just a side effect of a needed treatment that can be fixed.

Get him to make that appointment ASAP. After that appointment the clinic doctor will likely consult with your husband's GP physician, and after making sure there is no other medical reason causing the problem, advise him to begin precscribing one of the medications I've mentioned.

Good luck.
J.R. Neuberger
National Alliance for Medication Assisted Recovery

OH MY GOD I am dealing with the same thing!It is not going to get better. I have been with a guy for 4 years now. At first, we had sex every 2 weeks. (Not good for a new relationship.) We have had sex once or twice in the past year, and I am ready to leave. You aren't alone. I feel frustrated, ugly, and depressed. Nothing has changed. If you find a solution, please tell me! :-)

thanks for replying. all this just keeps getting worse. my husband wont see the clinic doctor. i dont know if he is just embarassed or what but we are both ready to start a family and he wont do anything to help. its so frustrating! I will try to talk to him agin. wish me luck

i feel for you im on the other side . I have been in treatment almost 2 years. i used to be a frek in bed the meth has almost have me shutdown. It is a LOW LOW LOW blow to a mans pride,unbearable stand by your man help him by pushing him to Dr. I wish i had support. This is no fun for you but it can cut a hole in a mans very soul!! was life better as a junckie I have no release no high this is very stressful

well said mate a non supportive girlfriend is a no no a relationship is a two way street things can go wrong 4 women as well...on juice meself have a lovely girlfriend and wish i wasnt on juice as it takes my self respect to be on it and it does affect me with ed most deffinatly it kills my pride and i feel less of a man but im lucky coz i have a supportive girlfriend who is happy sexually with me as theres more to love than sex but lets hope we both get sorted out soon this is a side to juice u never get told about when they start u on it.. best of luck mate andy.

I feel for you my two younger kids father is an meth addict and he's addiction is the break of our relationship, there's times he's hard and it works fine now its gone straight limbo, I told him it was the drugs and replays I have kids I tell him yeah from a good hi, hell be so turned on and penis is as limp as no feeling lol. Hold out on sex then arouse him before his methadone treatment you gotta keep him all the way aroused till fireworks in you for reproduction.. Best of Look but narcotics does damage a male's part to my knowledge of 3year relationship.

God I hate this, I've been on methadone for about 6-7 months, and was on heroin for about 2 1/2 years. In the time I was on H, I neverrr had any problems with ED and even feel that it actually boosted my sex drive/stamina, but now after having started methadone maintenance treatment at Miriam & Sheldon Adelson Clinic here in Vegas......ugh it's embarrassing just to talk about, but now I can't even get up sometimes. Once I've gotten going though, it's ok because it takes a really long time to finish. Unlike others, I'm lucky that finishing is still possible, but it's just STARTING that's unbearably difficult. I love my girlfriend so much and she turns me on like crazy but I end up onlyy pleasuring her trying to get myself going in the process but nothing seems to work. It's like the lights are on but no one's home, I enjoy and loveee making her feel good, but she asks me "don't you want to have sex with me?" and seriously, wtf do you say to that? We've talked, and she says she understands and that we'll work on it, but like I've seen some people say, it feels like a blow to your manhood bigtime. Luckily i'm really confident with my hands and mouth skills, but....we both know what makes sex great. I just hope my counselor is right and it does work itself out after a while longer on the treatment

Well my husband and myself have both been on methadone for over 2 years. He has no sex drive. I agree, it can certainly hurt a man's ego but it can make his partner hurt just as bad. I love my husband more than life itself and would never leave him because of this BUT it would be nice to have sex with him as well. It makes me feel so unattractive. He has said in the past that he worries every day that I will cheat on him. I will never cheat on him. My sex drive is still there and he still turns me on..... Just tonight he went and bought a very expensive testosterone booster.... Stay tuned and see if it works..............

The trying to conceive part I feel sorry for, but patience is the word you need to engrave in your heart! His system needs to get used to this strong drug substitute, which ironically is strong as well. He needs to get his testosterone levels checked! Usually as a counselor I'd say do not pressure him to orgasm, as long as he satisfies your needs let it go. You are satisfying his believe it or not, you are still with him, that makes him feel whole. You can still give him an erection and he can still have sex with you (actually and maybe for the first time, not have sex but actually MAKE LOVE TO YOU). Continue to hold each other, stroke each other and kiss each other. I feel sorry because I can't tell you the "payoff" isn't important in your case because you want to conceive. If you are that desperate to conceive the doctors can gather his semen surgically as the do with para and quadra pelagics. All is not lost. In fact be proud he is struggling to get of drugs. If he stayed on them the chances of you having a healthy child are not high! I agree go to the doctors NOT counselors! If you have a toothache would you go to a mechanic? NO you'd go to a dentist --- the same thing here --- this is a medical problem not a psychological one! My heart is with you as well as my prayers!

Girl,,you ain't seen nothing yet. The longer he is on it the worse it gets. My husband has been on Methadone for about 25 yrs and our sex life is non existing. The last time he tried was over 2 yrs ago to no avail. Nothing..I have even had an affair on him becuase I have needs that are not being fulfilled. I got caught,,that was about 7 yrs ago,,pretty much been celabate since then. I hope your man can get off that methadone before it totally consumes his and maybe your life's.

I've been taking methedone, and to like your husband can not finish and it is frustrating i don't know what to do but tell him he's not the only one

I have been pain medication for 2 plus years and am now on a methadone taper to get off the medication. I have been on a tapper for about 3 months now and will be done in 10 more days, and I know too well this topic myself. Before methadone, me and my wife had an normal to sex life, several times a week. First the doctor put me on Morphine for pain, sex got better for about the first week, then started dropping fast. 2 times a week.... once a week...once a month..... once every 3 months. Then the doctor swapped the morphine for methadone. sex once a year.... If...... I felt bad for my wife who was the same person she was when I started pain management.... Now today and the last 3 weeks or so. Today am only on a very very low dose since I am stopping the methadone and only 10 more days till done. Now my libido is back, I want sex like before, but I guess you can call me quick fire now. If my wife just kisses me It over, I'm already finessed even before an erection sometimes. I feel worse now than when the methadone made me not want sex. My doctors have all know and are keeping an eye on the 3 different testosterones levels. I will have another lab test in 40 days, a month after stopping methadone. to see if testosterone is needed. As for the Viagra and Cialis, they did nothing for my sex drive at all, and the pain doctor told me it might not work. The Viagra and Cialis I tried in many different strength, but nothing except for a rosy red face, fast heart beat. Nothing worked while on the medication. Now I am worried if the medication has broken my libido. Doctors said nothing about this when they decided to put me on medication. Pharmacist said nothing except to the bathroom problems. I am upset that I ever took these medications and never would of gotten on them if I would of know what can happen long term. Sad I had to learn the har..., I mean soft way.

Did the testosterone booster work?

I have been on Methadone for over a year and me and my GF have not had sex in over 3 months. It Makes you as a man feel like nothing. You dont understand how much I want to please her but I just can't. To be honest I dont even care if I can climax or not as long as she can. All I want is to be able to get it up for a change. This sucks. Gonna have to try the DR. and see what he says. For all you women out there with BF's with this prob. Stand by him and encourage him. You might feel bad but he feels 10 times worse I promise you.