My infant son is 4 months old. He has had a raised belly button, outtie, that weeps fluid and is red all around. His Doctor thought it might be a herina. A sonagram ruled it out. He prescribed nyasin powder and a antibiotic which did nothing. He wants to do surgery to remove a possible cyst. My question is. What are the risks? Should I concider having this surgery for such a small infant? Is this an exploratory surgery that should wait until he's older since it doesn't appear to bother him? Why isn't there more information about cysts and what causes them to become infected?

Since your infant is so young maybe it would be wise to seek another opinion before you make any radical decision.  My sister’s child had similar problems when it was an infant and my sister figure out in the end that is best when you need to decide what to do to seek few opinions. Her infant had infected urachal cyst.

This condition is most common in infancy and early adulthood and these cysts cause belly button pain and belly button erythema. Sometimes cysts are formed and they need to be surgically removed. Off course when you hear something like this you are scared. But after two doctors have said the same thing my sister has decided to listen to them.

In the end everything turned out just fine. So don’t be scared and let us know what hashappened in the end.  

My grand baby became extremely ill. She has bacterial in her blood and meningitis. The cyst caused it all. luckily we caught it in time but the Doctors say if the cyst is not removed, it will happen again.