the past few days a lump developed under the skin right above my belly button. I had a piercing a few years ago but its pretty well closed up now. The lump is located right next to the piercing and is very sore. any idead?

This definitely sounds like somehow the pierced part gotten infected, even though it has been a while since you had piercing - the location and the soreness definitely are signs that you can't ignore. How big is the lump? Is it getting bigger or is there any change? I'm afraid that you probably will need to see a doctor to get the treatment for infection, if that is the case, and even if it's not, you know yourself that you can't just let it be and have to have that checked out.

The lump is about half an inch in size. It hasn't gotten any bigger, it just pretty much appeared that size.

There are several possibilities here:
  1. A cyst that was formed by the piercing and is inflamed.
  2. A keloid
  3. Infection of the pierced area
You should see your dermatologist for an evaluation and treatment of the area as soon as possible.

If a lump developed in the vicinity of your belly button piercing but you have not worn an actual piercing for years and never had any problems before, I would question whether the two are related. You could have an ingrown hair, epidermoid cyst, or anything like that. I was going to say keloid too when I saw the topic title, but that would have developed after you had your belly button piercing done and not years after it already closed up. 

I'd see my doctor or if necessary a dermatologist to see what can be done about your skin bump.

I have one of these too.....it hurts really bad and is sore without me even touching it. Then again I have no idea what it is.