Lately I have one really annoying problem. My lower eyelid started to twitch often. This is something that really going on my nerves, but also scared me a little too. I don’t understand why this happens to me. Also I don’t know what it means, so I would be thankful for any info.

Eyelid twitch is one of the most common types of eyelid spasms. Eyelid twitch is caused by something we still don’t know for sure. Slight spasm of the lower, or even both eyelids is common, and of no concern. Symptoms are twitching or spasm around the eyes, or facial spasms. These symptoms may not necessary mean that you have eyelid spasms. The best would be if you consult your doctor to confirm any diagnosis, whether is good or bad. Treatment for your lower eyelid twitching requires no treatment, as they usually resolve spontaneously. You should reduce stress if there is any, because sometimes it can be provoked by it. Try use warm soaks, or correction of any refractive error also may help. Some ophthalmologists recommend reducing caffeine usage.

This is very common in my cause and a few other people I know. One might called it superstitious, but try to observe that, it could be an alert for something good news or bad news. In my wifes and mine case, the left eye is bad news and the right is good new. Observe.

In response to eow_c
I have developed an lower eyelid twitch on my left side that has been lasting over 5 days now. It comes and goes for about 20 sec and about 3 times an hour. Trying to figure you why I had developed it I started drink lots of fluids and getting an extra 2 hours of sleep a day. None of that seems to help. Just yesterday I had realized that I stabbed myself with a knife the before my eye twitches. It was a deep stab and it hit bone, but the location is exactly where you (eow_c) has pointed out "which is about 1.5 cm above the middle part between my thumb and my forefinger." I am greatful that you wrote this story, Just hope that my twitches will go away as my wound cures.

Lid twitches has many many causes, but in your case that has started 2 days ago, i think the most probable cause is stress. Dear if you have provided more information about your situation, i could have helped you more.

Try loading up on magnesium with chelated zinc.
Also avoid foods that might give you allergies.
For me it is likely dairy and wheat (or the cultures used in both, as I am allergic to mold for certain).

I have been researching this a lot lately ever since my left eyelid started twitching - the lower one. So far as I can tell there may be several explanations for this. What I have it boiled down to is stress at the core. Many people say that it's vitamin deficiencies, which I think could be complicit in the eye twitch conspiracy :) but at the end of the day it seems that stress is the factor. I don't have a lot of stress in my life, just general work and responsibility stress. I eat pretty well, drink lots of water, rarely soda. Why this started happening to me three weeks ago is beyond me - no new life occurrences. So I decided to start chronicling my daily routine, activities, notable mentions. This gives me the ability down the road to figure out a pattern to all of this... because right now it feels pretty random.

Currently im having exactly the same problem with my lower left eyelid. It occured about 2 - 3 month ago and was present for about 2 weeks and then stopped all of a sudden. Now for some reason its back again annoying the c**p out of me and even though most people claim this is a result of stress, im almost 100% positive that it isnt since i just finished my school year and for the last month ive just been chilling and lieing around the beach with absolutely no stress... and yet here it is bothering me...

Eyelid twitching is very common and can be caused by many different things. It is true that stress is often cited, but more commonly it seems to be eye fatigue, such as what you get from not wearing your glasses regularly or spending too much time in front of the TV or computer screen without giving your eyes a rest. I've heard a few people say that eyelid twitching was their first sign of needing glasses. I would always say that if the eye twitching doesn't get better after a week, you should go see an eye doctor, as you may need new glasses (or need glasses if you don't already have them) or the eye doctor can make sure that there isn't anything more serious than just lack of sleep, stress, or too much caffeine, etc.

I have a simlilar issue i thought it would stop over time but its been 2 weeks and it is still happening its really getting annoying any suggestions

Could the twitching have anything to do with cancer?

muscle twitching on lower left eye ....a lot of people said and i myself experience bad luck! Not superstitious but thats the way it is happening

I'm not all that knowledgeable in this kind of thing but I do have a personal story revolving around this particular issue that may clear things up. I had recently gotten a new prescription for eye glasses as well as new contacts. The prescription was a bit higher than my old one's and as I started to wear my stronger glasses I noticed my right bottom eyelid would twitch for 20 seconds or so, on and off through out the day. I saw my optomitrist about this and he said it was normal because the muscle in my eye is being pushed to see things clearer than I have in awhile and that after a few weeks, when the muscle is used to it and stronger, it'll stop.

So if you've gotten any new eye wear lately this could be the cause. Another issue could be a low balance of omega three, another thing my optomitrist explained is that eye sight especially relies on omega three in order to stay healthy. So maybe try upping your fish intake (Fish Oil contains a large amount of Omega Three) or get some suppliments at your nearby pharmacy.

i m suffering from left lower eyelid twitching, i read all the comments in above all responses and i look into the medical search its an medical condition which named Myokymia, the causes are unknown but some time stress, fatigue, and excessive caffeine or alcohol intake can lead to this condition.
in my case i m having moderate stress due to work and family, and regarding caffeine i m taking panadol extra most of the time 2-6 tabs per day, its contain caffeine,
there is no such treatment but i like your post for acupuncture treatment, i tried it but i think i m not sure exactly the place, can u plz email me the exact way to acupuncture and exact site where to applied pressure.
thanks
***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I have a right, lower eyelid spasm that has an onset for three plus weeks. This is the second time to have acquired this spasm, which in the first episode last slightly over a month. Sleep is excellent, nutrition is superb ( I am a personal trainer and competitive bodybuilder, so excellent nutrition is a must) my stress is mild, but consistent, and I hear caffeine can cause this to occur, but I've been on high doses of caffeine since I was 16, I'm now 40. (caffeine was my doctors recommendation, I was on Riddelen for ADD, but I had tunnel vision on that so a doctor offered caffeine as an alternative, which was not FDA approved, but works--and has ever since. 600-800mg/day). What I have found to alleviate the spasms briefly is to place my finger horizontally against where my eye lid spasms at the cheek bone and slightly massage the area. Gives my anywhere from a few minutes to an hour of relief.