I recently spent 3 days in the hospital with a GI bleed. they can't seem to find out where the bleeding is coming from. i went into the er because i had been vomiting bright red blood for about 12 hours along with bloody diarrhea. they pumped my stomach(what was left of it) in the er and found more fresh blood. then i was admitted and they did another scope down to my stomach the next morning. i was told there were a few small ulcers but they weren't big enough to cause that much bleeding. the next day the did a colonoscopey where they didn't find anything buy took some samples and did all kinds of blood tests and can't figure out whats going on. of course not having any insurance they sent me home. i'm in a lot of pain and continue to vomit at least once a day with blood, any ideas?

Vomiting bright red blood and the presence of a large amount of fresh blood in the stomach suggest that the bleeding occurs in the upper GI tract. Esophageal varices are veins at the lower part of the esophagus that have become swollen due to increased blood pressure in the portal vein caused by chronic liver disease. These veins may then rupture due to the excessive pressure, resulting in recurring copious bleeding. The emergency room is a busy place to be in, and the ER doctors might have missed those varices when they inserted the endoscope into your stomach. This is an emergency situation, as excessive loss of blood can lead to hypovolemic shock and death.
The blood in your bloody diarrhea apparently had come from your upper GI tract as the colonoscopy had failed to find any thing wrong with your colon. I am saddened that you are not getting the proper attention because you are uninsured. I would suggest that you visit the ER at another hospital. Hopefully you will receive better care there. KEEP TRYING until somebody can pinpoint the problem.

My idea is that this form of bleeding is diffusive. You should aggressively pursue your Doctor to perform X-rays of your chest.

There is really nothing more for you Doctors to do. Your blood counts are within range. Vitals stable. There is no other serious indications of anemia. For insurance purposes, you may have been ordered to discharge from the hospital. However, do not let that stop you from going back if you need to. Some of the common signs of Anemia is dizziness, confusions, chills or feeling you are getting cold, and shortness of breath.

Every Biology student must have dreaded the Chapter in their Biology class on Osmosis and Diffusion. How cells move to an area of high concentration from an area of lower concentration across a selective membrane. And if you were anything like me, I would have never guess that what they were talking about could happen with blood, too. I always thought they were only talking about water. It wasn't until I went to my Doctor's appointment with my Uncle, a cancer patient, that I found out that blood can diffuse through a membrane, such as a blood vessel, or artery, or a tumor. But, it is common in many patients with stomach cancer and related to the form of cancer with the worst prognosis.

Don't get me wrong, I know I am doing an awfully lot of talking about cancer, but I am not saying you have cancer. It could be diffusing through a capillary wall. Somewhat, in the same manner as water, which causes edema. Only difference, it can be the result of obstructed blood flow, lack of oxygen binding to hemoglobin (common is cigarette smokers), or low blood pressure. Despite of what the reason might be, you shoud keep your eye open for symptoms of anemia that can be first signs of danger.

The most common symptoms of fatigue and can often be over looked are tiredness or weakness, dizziness or feeling light-headed (even when standing up), difficulty bleeding, and chest pains. These are all indications that there is a lost in hemoglobin from the blood. If you feel any of these symptoms or any other symptom I have not mentioned to you, seek Emergency Care. Otherwise, the source of your bleeding should stop on its own.

Hope this answers your question!

REFERENCE(S):

1. Andrew H. Ko, M.D., 2003. Stomach (Gastric) Cancer. Cancer Suppotive Care, cancersupportivecare.com/stomach.html.