Hello. I'm 19 year old female and I'm interested to find out some stuff about lymph nodes, especially those situated in inguinal region.
I have a long history of cancers in my family because my grandmother died from colon cancer and also, my mother has been diagnosed with some uterine cancer few years back and had total hysterectomy after it. She really doesn’t know anything about this and can't really help me. That’s why I would like to hear more about these lymph nodes because I have read that they could be very important in early detection of all kinds of tumors.
I would also like to hear more about normal functions of lymph nodes and their normal positions in the body.

Hello. I'm a medical student and I will gladly answer all your questions because I personally think that every person has to know something about this. Lymph nodules are small masses of lymph tissue that have two main functions- producing the lymphocytes and filtering lymph that is passing through them. There are situated in several places in your body such as mastoid and sub occipital nodes of the head, cervical lymph nodes of the neck, axillary lymph nodes under the arm, inguinal lymph nodes of the groin area and popliteal nodes behind the knee. Organic material is destroyed in the lymph nodes by macrophages and antibodies.Inguinal lymph nodes are lymph nodes found in the upper thigh near the groin. The presence of swollen inguinal lymph nodes is an important clinical sign because it can indicate an infection in the lower extremities or spread from cancers, such as anal cancer and vulvar cancer.