Hi all. I’m 27. Just last night while I was putting my hair up in a ponytail I noticed a small bump on the hairline on the left side of the back of my neck. I think it might be a swollen gland. It is fairly soft, but is not painful or itchy. So, I’m wondering should I be concerned if or this is something that will go away on it’s own? Should I see my doc immediately or wait few days first??

Yes, you should wait few days (maybe even a week or two) to see what happens. It does sound like a reactive lymph node in the occipital area which is usually nothing serious. It is possible that you have a minor infection of some kind…. But, if it is not resolving in that time (say, 2 weeks), then you should visit your doc to check it out.

My baby is 12 weeks old. I noticed a little knot on the back of his head almost two weeks ago. Now he's sick. I took him to the doctor today and with all the other things (cloggy, diarhhea, pukey) I forgot to mention the little knot. It's only on one side, but I suddenly remembered while I was on the computer that lymph nodes are back there and looked up where they are. I'm calling the doctor back first thing in the morning! If there's something in his lymph nodes that's making him sick or whatever, we need to find out! I'm so glad I found this! I almost closed the window when I saw all the posts about the glands being firm and tender. Then I saw this one. His isn't painful I don't think. He doesn't react badly when I press on it. I'll be sure to repost when we find something out.

My son is 15 months old and teething. His mastoid and occipital glands are swollen to the size of a small pea. There are three lumps behind each ear. This is not the first time this has happened and they never completely go away. He has run fever with the teething but hasn't had it in 2 days now. The lumps are still huge. We took him to the doctor the last time this happened and (of course you don't see a real Dr anymore, you see a PA) he told us it was nothing. He checked his ears and throat and said there was no infection and that the swelling is usually indicative of one. That being said he did nothing to look further into the problem.

I have been doing some research on the glands and found that there is a type of cancer in this area. How often does this type of cancer manifest in children his age, what are the signs and how do I get him checked if need be?

My just turned 3 year old son has had 3 large to small pea sized hard knots behind his ear for 3 weeks now. They are finally starting to get a little smaller, and this is the 4th week. We took him to his pediatrician, a good friend who is an ER doctor, and showed another doctor quickly while there with another child, and all said it was common in his age. They also said it was usually due to a head infection (tick bite, etc.) or congestion/infection in the sinus/nose/chest area. No tick bite observations were seen and he was a little congested, but no infection in ears or throat. All doctors said the same thing and all said it was nothing to worry about, that it would go away in a few weeks. They did say that if the knots got red or sensitive to the touch/painful, that it meant the knots (occipital glands) were infected and that would need to be treated.