How do you feel about the public nature of the Internet. There is no privacy. The privacy laws don't seem to apply on the Internet. How far do you think this can go. Is anyone going to stand up and take notice so that privacy laws and security measures will catch up with the legal and illegal criminals, (if you know what I mean). People use legal means on the Internet to do illegal things. What do you think?

I have been using my Linux desktop to surf the web for quite a while. Linux is supposed to be more secure from viruses and other malwares than is Windows. I don't use Windows much anymore, except for pc gaming. My favorite Linux desktops include Ubuntu 9.04 and Xandros home premium edition which has a security suite that includes an antivirus and a firewall utilities.

That's great. There are so many anti-virus programs; phishing programs, etc. How does the average person go about choosing one? Every one claims to be the best. You get pop-up galore. The radio personalities that specialize in techno things are helpful I guess, but they can make different recommendations between them. How do you really decide on one. Norton causes problems and conflicts on my computer. Other people I know have the same complaint. What is the answer?

Celebrity
Norton is okay, I believe Kaspersky is even better, but you have to pay for it. They have a trial version, so when I am stuck with a virus, i do use that, but it is one time only :-( cos their system somehow recognizes that I already used it before...

I also used Ubuntu, but I had some problems with compatibility with other problems... I mean everyhting is set for windows and if i use ubuntu... well everyhting is a process :-D and like instant stuff... :-D to have them right now..

Well the good thing about Linux is that there are free distributions. And you are free from viruses (at least for now :-) ).
If you want to chose what anti virus you want to use, then you have to go some sites where they have reviews about every anti-virus there is. Then you have to see wich one is the best in their opinion. You also have to find a site that is reliable with informations.
If you want some privacy on internet than you just have to be careful as much as you can.

Thanks everyone for the info. I learned about programs that I had not heard of before. Does anyone know why Norton can be so problematic for so many people? Has anyone else heard that complaint. Is Norton aware of it? How do you find out that a program is good for you without screwing up your computer trying to find out?

Well there are a lot of blogs and sites out there, that do review of new programs. If I need some program I usually spend a day or two just reading reviews from other users. The easiest and safest way, so your computer is safe, is that you find several sources of reviews for one program. And than you can see if people are generally satisfied with it.