I'm 14 and I may be able to get bunion surgery. The only thing I'm worried about is recovery. I do something called parkour which is similar to martial arts in that it requires intense discipline, and a life dedicated to it. It is basically "urban gymnastics" and the philosophy is that all obstacles can be overcome. Well this is just another obstacle. I have trouble balancing on rails and wall runs because I don't support on the inside part of my foot. After my recovery, will I be able to do this activity? Will I be able to sprint? I want to be in TOP shape with my foot. Will it be the same as someone who has normal feet all their life? If not I will endure the pain because I'd rather have these bunions than give up parkour.

Hey, I just wanted to say it's cool that you're into parkour. I didn't know there was philosophy behind it. I am in need of bunion surgery also. I do martial arts and hip hop dance/breakdance. The doctor told me that the recovery time is 6 months or longer. If the bunion is painful, then I'd suggest getting it corrected and resting until it heals. Else, continue to do parkour! I'm uncertain what I'm going to do. Mine isn't really painful. I just had hip surgery, so I may just wait to have bunoin surgery. Good luck!

Your recovery depends on what type of procedure is being done. There are tons of different procedures they can perform depending on the severity of your bunion and other foot abnormalities. i just had a major surgery done to only my left foot (the right is perfectly normal). I needed a base wedge osteotomy where a wedge shaped piece of bone is removed from the main bone running from your big toe through the foot. It is then repositioned straightening the bone and a large pin is put in it sticking out of your foot inside a non-weight bearing cast for 6 weeks and then the cast and pin are removed. He also shaved off the lump that had formed on the outside of the big toe joint which is what most people think of as a bunion. Again, there are many procedures but I required this one to correct the problem so it wouldn't return in the future. Some doctors perform a much less evasive procedure which usually doesn't require casting but the problem is that for many people it doesn't fix the problem so it may very well return after a few years of activity. I am a runner and cyclist so it was important for me to permanently fix the problem and deal with the longer recovery. I am 7 1/2 weeks post op and am walking but with a little discomfort due to some swelling and stiffness. After being in a cast for 6 weeks there are a lot of muscles that have to rebuild so I expected stiffness. The doctor stated I should expect around a 6 month period for full recovery which includes swelling, stiffness, and rebuilding joint flexibility. I had a wonderful surgeon and things are going exactly as he told me they would. At the moment I would not recommend surgery to anyone because it is not pleasant but I think when all is said and done in 6 months I hope to post that I've recovered fully and would love to recommend the surgery. So far so good for now. I suggest asking your doctor specific recovery questions in regards to your particular procedure. If he/she can't be pretty specific then I would suggest consulting with a different doctor until you feel comfortable with the respones you get from your questions.

Troubled-Foot,
Your surgery is what I am thinking of doing. I'm boderline between the base wedge which requires the cast and the other procedure that just needs the surgical boot. I'm pretty active with triathlon training and I "was" targeting 2012 for a full ironman but I decided I should use this off-season to take care of this now. Your post was 2/2/2010...can you tell me how you're doing now?