Ok so I'm a 14 year old girl and I get jealous of people with serious mental disorders such as depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, anorexia, autism, borderline personality, bipolar, Insomnia, OCD.. Ect.. To the point where I've asked my parents to put me in a mental asylum... Is this normal? I've tried to find out the reason why I feel this but I can't find anyone who feels the same?... I do have a little social anxiety and I used to self harm but I really am jealous and before anyone says im just attention seeking, I'm not. I'm really serious about it.

Hi Chloe, I don't imagine many people would feel this way. Your are talking about wanting serious mental health disorders that hugely affect your quality of life. None of them are any fun, some can be deadly and anyone who suffers from any of these disorders wishes.that they didn't. I am speaking both from personal experience of mental illness and from that of people close to me. but I believe what you say is real to you. Possibly it is a questioning of self and society that we all do in our teens in our search.for identity. Perhaps focusing in what is good in your life and keeping a diary of the things you are grateful for can help shift your way of thinking to more positive things. Also, if this continues you probably need to talk to someone you can trust like a parent or school counsellor. I hope that helps.

Thankyou, my parents just think I'm joking and I don't feel I can tell them that I'm serious because we have had a lot of family problems lately and they don't trust me with anything. And I would like to see a professional about it (we don't have a school one) but my parents won't let me and I am wondering how I can get in contact with one without my parents and family finding out, also I'm shy and scared that I won't be able to open up to someone in person that I'm not very close with :s

Hi Chloe, that is really tough. It is hard when you are a teen as you don't have so much control over things like access to healthcare. It sounds almost like you are finding things difficult at home and want to get help but feel like the only way you can get that us by having a mental health issue that your parents can't ignore like bipolar. That isn't the answer. But getting help is. What is available to you depends on where you live. In Australia there is an organisation called headspace that anyone between 12 and 25 can go to for help and it us usually free. They also have online counselling and a great website. Some countries or states have a kidshelpline that offers phone counselling and referrals. They are a bit like lifeline. Your school should have some sort of welfare staff, even if they are not psychologists. Perhaps talk to your homeroom teacher to find out. And there may be other mental health services for kids and teens where you live that are like headspace.
If you can access professional help it is important to know that it takes time to open up and develop trust. But an experienced professional will put you at ease, and nothing you say is anything that they haven't heard before. They are there to help and not to judge you. I don't know if any of that is any help but take care. Wishing you all the best

Thankyou again, that is a good idea and I will try and call someone, sometimes I just wish I could talk to someone who feels the same...

In my opinion, you're very lucky. Not even very, just beyond. I would gladly switch with you any day. I would love to just not have any kind of fear or anxiety, it mentally kills you and destroys your life. Idk if the above is me being harsh, I apologise if it sounds that way but you're just lucky. Maybe counselling will help, so you can talk about how you feel. Good luck though x