I am suffering from pneumonia. I do not know how I got it, all I know is that before this I had a viral infection of breathing pathways that was very persistent. It seems that this condition got complicated by bacterial infection. Doctor recommended me chloramphenicol, because I am allergic to penicillin. Is chloramphenicol a penicillin?

Chloramphenicol is an antibiotic that affects several types of bacteria, but it is not penicillin. What makes these two different is the chemical structure and chloramphenicol does not cause allergic reactions as penicillin does. Often, chloramphenicol is used for dealing with infections, especially with people allergic to penicillin. So, you do not have anything to worrry about, chloramphenicol is safe for you.

No, chloramphenicol is not penicillin.Penicillin is a beta lactam antiobiotic whereas chloramphenicol is something else.penicillin has its action on bacterial cell membrane whereas chloramphenicol is a protein synthesis inhibitor which binds with the 50s ribosomal subunit of prokaryotes,which is not present in the cytoplasm of eukaryotes, but present in the eukaryotic mitochondria.so, on this basis we can say that it must be having some effect on eukaryotic cell also.

Does it contain sulfa tho?