i have had same problems, not a smoker. started with sinus infection it was treated. felt fine for 2 weeks & the pain started, i've seen 4 ents & allergists-primary care-ortho-infectious dis. finally a neurologist- he believes it is a damaged nerve-but, why or how? it can happen from having a virus or bacterial infection or from being on antibiotics. 1 dr. says to have sinus surgery-2 others don't agree? not sure the pain will go away. i also have gerd & possible allergies (although i have been tested & am not allergic to anything) i do have chronic sinusitis. pain comes & goes- i don't think any doctor knows for sure! they tell me neurontin can help for pain-but i don't like taking meds. especially if i am not sure what is causing the problem. i do think maybe this is nerve damage- i am told it can get better but, they don't know-all i know it is very depressing. the nerve damaged is espohgeal neuralgia(can't find anything about this.)

neuralgic pain does seem the most likely cause of your pain. Try searching for glossopharyngeal neuralgia (the main cranial nerve to serve that area) and this should answer some of your questions.

Any further questions please get back to us

last Friday the pain started. Pain on left side of neck when swallowing. Pain also on scalp mainly left side, sometimes quite severe. I had a fibrous basal cell carcinoma removed from my left cheek about 4 months ago. The dermatologist who removed it did not damage the nerve we thought. However perhaps the basal cell is regrowing and has affected the nerve. All I can say is that it is painful and am already tired of taking painkillers and I have only had it for6 days.