I have a question that worries me a lot. I am pregnant, in 14th week already. However, I have a friend who told me it is dangerous to have fever while pregnant. I had fever many times in my life so I expect I will have it for sure. Can you tell me could it be dangerous and what should I know how to recognize which fever is dangerous for pregnancy?

It is usual to develop a viral illness that is common cause of a fever during pregnancy. Mild fevers that last only a short time usually are not a concern, and if this is your case, you should not be worried. An ongoing fever that does not get better with home treatment means that a more serious problem is present. If your condition does not improve with taking acetaminophen, or if it do not improve after several days may, it could be bacterial infection. Evaluation by a health professional may be needed if fever develops and you have other health risks, such as diabetes or sickle cell disease. Furthermore, if you develop fever with other symptoms, such as kidney infection, it could be dangerous. Dehydration is dangerous and it should be reported to doctor if it eventually develops. A mild fever without an obvious cause lasts longer than four full days should also be reported to your doctor. You should remember that fever is only a symptom, and its symptoms must be considered. A careful evaluation may be needed to help you identify other symptoms that may be related to the fever during pregnancy.