Just before I get into my question, I'd like to give some background of myself. I figure the more information I can give, the more likely I'm able to get some advice regarding the current medical condition I'm going through.

I'm a single 24-year-old male, and have never really had a lot of medical or health problems in my life. I've always been very healthy, apparently. I don't smoke or do drugs - I made a promise to my mother as a child, and it's one of those promises I intend to never break - nor do I really drink (I don't really care for the taste, and the alcohol I do enjoy is generally far more expensive and much stronger; even then, I don't drink frequently, nor often enough that it would be a problem). Actually, I don't like drugs in the least (even the over-counter and prescribed ones); even when I take something like Tylenol I take one pill (adult dosage is two). It's exceedingly rare for me to take the "recommended" dosage of anything, to be honest (30ml is the adult dosage for Pepto Bismol, but I usually take half that), as I'm aware of the very realistic consequences of over-dosing, long-term problems of drugs, and how harsh drugs can be on the system and organs.

Up until my mid-late teenage years, I was fairly active and in decent shape. However, in around that time, I started becoming less active, and did gain a fair amount of weight. Apparently, the weight range for me should be approximately 160-175lbs (that's what I recall hearing from a dietician, but my mom insists it's between 170-175lbs). At my peak, I was around approximately 210lbs (about a year ago). I've always enjoyed eating - to date, there's nothing (within reason) I won't eat - and working for Tim Horton's for nearly two years probably didn't help too much. I've considered myself to be a rather healthy eater, and especially so in the last few years. Whilst I have the mind-set that everything is healthy, I do realize and understand that there are things that are "more healthy" than others, in a manner of speaking. In the last four years, approximately, I've taken more of a "healthy" approach to eating; for instance, I'll get the Honey and Oats Harvest Bread (I believe it's called) over something like Wonder, or Maple Nut Oatmeal Crisp cereal as opposed to something like Honey Nut Cheerios. If I were to go for a snack in a vending machine, I'd usually go for something like Honey Roasted Nuts or those Mini Crispers (for those who don't know, they're like a baked snack that's an alternative to chips). I've always eaten a lot, and still do to this day; even so, whenever and wherever I can, I attempt to eat as healthy as possible.

As suggested, I did work at Tim Horton's for nearly two years, and my employment with them ended approximately two years ago, and I took about a year break from working. Last year, I actually got a flyer job (delivering flyers twice a week), which was of good benefit to me, and I dropped around 15+ lbs easily in the few months I had the job. I actually quit the job for the current job I have now, which is a warehouse job and is very physically intensive (primarily heavy lifting and pushing/pulling carts), and have dropped down to approximately 170lbs since working there, and am once again fairly active and in decent shape because I work five days and 30+ hours per week.

I'm not really sure what other background I can give that would be of any particular use, so I'll get on with my reason for posting. For approximately the last few months, I've been having a rather annoying and embarrassing issue. Every time I pass gas/wind, I have to be concerned that a bloody, puss, gooey-like substance will be released (with the amount of blood varying). I would say that it happens approximately 90% of the time (I haven't done a study or anything to come up with that number, but I'd comfortably say it's fairly close). When I initially started noticing this issue, it was the same day as a washroom incident. I was on my way home, from a visit to my Grandparents who live approximately 250km away (about a two hour drive), when I had to go. As we were on the freeway, and were at least a good halfway home, I decided to hold it figuring I could make it home. About 20 or so minutes later, I realized there was no holding it, and immediately informed my mother of the issue and insisted it was urgent and we should pull over on to the side of the freeway. She didn't pull over, but instead went to the next service station, which was at least a good 15+ minutes away. As soon as I got to the washroom, I couldn't hold it any longer; I literally lost control - I could feel it give, and it was a different, worse feeling as opposed to other accidents I've had as a child - and had quite a mess to clean up afterwards (fortunately, my clothes were okay, and it wasn't diarrhea). During the incident, I had some pain and discomfort in my abdomen area, and it did take quite a while before I felt I was sufficiently finished and was comfortable enough to leave the washroom. When I got home, I ended up having to go a couple more times, and noticed blood, at which point I did a Google search. My findings suggested Hemorrhoids might be a possibility, or something else, but that I should consult a doctor.

My mom found out about it, and we went to the after hours clinic - getting an appointment with my doctor is nearly impossible as I must phone first thing in the morning and book a same-day appointment, which is pretty much impossible due to my work schedule. I've got to be honest when I say this: the doctor who was on seemed like a quack to me because of the way he talked to me during the visit. He suggested a Hemorrhoids issue, and prescribed two things, which weren't covered by my benefits. I did manage to get a substitute for the cream, but ended up having to purchase Anusol. Well, suffice to say, I had absolutely no luck with that treatment, as I couldn't manage to do it, so the issue went untreated. For approximately a two-week period, the incident cleared up, and I didn't have a single problem! Unfortunately, the issue started back up about one month ago.

I did some research into the possibility of a Hemorrhoids issue, and, despite my thoughts of the after-hours doctor, it does look like it may be a possibility. Before I learned more from Wikipedia, my thoughts were "How is it even possible?", "Aren't they suppose to hurt?", and "Wouldn't the the bowel, or something in that region, being ripped or damaged be a more likely cause of the bleeding?" I still wonder that, to be honest, but from my research, everyone has Hemorrhoids, as they're just "vascular structures in the anal canal which help with stool control," according to Wikipedia. It does seem possible that this is an internal Hemorrhoid issue, but in the last few days it does seem to be showing signs of, once again, clearing up. However, there was a slight blow-up between my mother and I two days ago, and, as a result, I ended up confessing I still had the issue. She immediately drove me to the ER of the hospital, and I was taken in. After nearly 24 hours, I was finally able to get out and go home, and am suppose to be hearing from a Gastrointestinal specialist in the next week to see about an appointment within the month, which I'm not eager about, to say the least. They didn't give a diagnosis, but they seem to think that it could be Crohn's, Irritable Bowel Syndrom (I believe IBS was one of the things they suggested, but I can't remember), or some other condition, which I honestly can't even recall the name of now. The other possibility, which was suggested, is a blockage. I've noticed a bit of a size difference when going (smaller), but that's not always the case. It's more frequent since this issue has started, but, again, isn't always the case.

I'm just wondering, as my subject/title suggests: are these possibilities that the doctors suggested actually realistic? Or could there maybe have been some damage done from the washroom incident? If someone has had a similar incident, and might be willing to share, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Mr. D

Sorry for the lack of paragraph spacing. Apparently, hitting the "Enter" button once doesn't do very well. If you're able to patiently read my whole post, I'd appreciate it!

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Mr. D

Apparently, nothing was wrong with my paragraph structure. It was simply the way the page was displayed when I initially viewed it after posting. Anyway, I'm actually just posting now to give an update on some information I gave in my initial post. I am actually at 160.8lbs currently (just bought a new digital scale because it's on sale at Canadian Tire). If my memory serves me and I'm correct, not my mother, I'm at a really great and healthy weight. I'm approximately 5'8" - not sure if I wrote that right; in case I didn't, I'm about 5 foot, 8 inches - if that's of any good to anyone.

Other than what I've already included, I'm not terribly certain what other information I can provide. If there are other things I haven't already addressed, feel free to ask. Whilst the Internet isn't really 100% secure (anything and everything is recorded, and nothing is ever truly "deleted"), it does offer some privacy, so I'm willing to answer pretty much any question, if I know the answer. There will be a couple things I won't share, but odds are those things won't be asked anyway.

Sincerely,

Mr. D

In my initial post, I wrote "Every time I pass gas/wind, I have to be concerned that a bloody, vagina, gooey-like substance will be released (with the amount of blood varying)." For some reason, "p***y" was changed to "vagina." When I was reading over it initially, I didn't notice this change, so I'm presuming a moderator came along and changed it. I could be wrong, though. Anyway, the word should be "puss" with a 'y' at the end, as it commonly looks like there is puss involved with the incident. If a moderator did come along and change the wording, I would appreciate it if a moderator would come along and change it back, as the blood does not, in any way, resemble that of a female's vagina.

Sincerely,

Mr. D

My apologies to the moderators. It would seem as though the word "puss" with the letter 'y' at the end is a "filtered" word, and changes automatically to "vagina," as it is considered an offensive word. Anyway, I hope that, when someone finally gets around to offering me some help with regards to this issue, they notice these additional posts by me and will know what I truly meant in my initial post.

Sincerely,

Mr. D

Well, I've finally gone for a more thorough examination. I just went in for a flexible sigmoidoscopy, and four samples were taken, and I was given a prescription for some special enema that is suppose to help with the symptom (the puss/blood when I have to pass gas). I was suppose to go for a colonoscopy at another hospital, but was redirected back to the hospital I had been to earlier this month for the procedure I just went through today. Now they are suggesting I may have ulcerative colitis (still no diagnosis, but that's what they're leaning towards as the most likely possibility now).

If anyone else has been through a similar experience, and would be willing to take the time to reply, I would really appreciate it a lot! All these possible issues (Crohn's, IBS, ulcerative colitis, etc) seem improbable due to a simple washroom incident just a few months ago, and yet that is when all this started. The most likely issue, in my opinion, which is also the simplest, is a tear or rip somewhere along the area. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just want to make absolute sure that the simplest of things isn't being over-looked. The other thing I could see as being a realistic possibility is a blockage. Without a colonoscopy, how could that be ruled out?

Anyway, as I say, if someone with a similar experience could reply, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Mr. D

I went for a follow-up appointment with one of the doctors who did the flexible sigmoidoscopy (surprise, the appointment was at the hospital that I was suppose to go to originally for a colonoscopy). Apparently, the biopsy samples show that it's indeed ulcerative colitis. The prescription I mentioned earlier is called Salofalk, and is the 4g/60g dosage. Surprisingly enough, it's actually helping; it's just an absolute pain to use. I certainly can't, and won't, deny that the prescription is working, but I still find it hard to believe that this was all brought about by a washroom incident, and yet that's exactly when it all started.

No one here has responded to my concerns, so I think I'll try a different medical site the next time I have any questions and/or concerns about my health.

Sincerely,

Mr. D