I am a 40 year old male. Two years ago I found myself with pain around my anus. I checked this in a mirror and saw that the area around my anus was bright red. This showed up just after taking antibiotics and lasted about two days. I have never had anal sex or done anything adventuresome with my anus. After this redness cleared I had a very strange problem that I still have today. After I have a bowel movement, I clean up perfectly and then about a half hour later I find that something leaks out of my anus. I am very regular with my bowel movements...once a day just after I wake up... The leaking continues until about noon and then stops. It is like I have some form of post bowel movement drip. I have not problem controlling when I have a bowel movement, but cannot do anything to stop the leaking. So, I have to make frequent trips to the bathroom to clean up. About 1 month after this condition developed, I saw a doctor. I have since been checked for hemorrhoids (nothing unusual), I had the anal sphincter muscles checked (normal), and I had a colonoscopy (normal). I have a healthily diet. I exercise regularly. This is condition is starting to depress me as I live an otherwise healthy and active life. This condition simply showed up one day and has since continued. My doctor seems perplexed which further concerns me. Can anybody help point me in the right direction? A checklist of things to get checked would be helpful. Many thanks.

Hi There,

Unfortunately I can't help with this, other than to say that I have EXACTLY the same condition! I am also a (reasonably) healthy 40yo Male and have been suffering with this for several years now. Mine came on all of a sudden and for no real reason. To begin with my doctor referred me to a specialist at the local hospital who suspected that I may have a fistula in my anus. He booked me in for an op. to have this sorted, but after admission to hospital, and being taken to theatre, they found nothing wrong. I also went for muscle tests the results of which were fine, and a sygmoidoscopy which again showed no abnormalities inside my lower bowel. It was then suggested that I have another sygmoidoscopy where they would look a lot further into my bowel to check there. There was a mix up at the hospital and it turned out they'd booked me in for another standard sygmoidoscopy (which I'd already had). The surgeon had a chat with me about my condition while I was there though, and he concluded that I had a weak muscle (despite the results of the muscle tests I'd had before being fine). I was advised to try and exercise the muscle daily to try and strengthen this up. I have been trying to do this, but the condition has not changed.

Like you, it can get you down, and you can end up having to clean yourself up several times during the day after passing a motion. I'm usually o.k. if I can go 1st thing in the morning, then have my usual daily shower. But if I have to go during the day, then it's pretty much guaranteed I'll suffer with the familiar after effects approx 30mins to an hour afterwards.

I have been contemplating returning to my GP, but like yourself, I don't really think they know what to do about it.

Cheers,
KJ

About 3 weeks ago, I started to wonder if this was some sort of yeast infection. I noticed that the odor of the "leaking liquid" had a slighly fishy smell. I did a google search on yeast infections and learned that there are at least two things that are naturally good for clearing yeast infections: 1) garlic and 2) cranberry juice. I started eating 3 garlic cloves per day...one before each meal (I sliced each clove into 3 and eat them raw). I also started drinking cranberry juice. I started to see immediate results. I hesitate to say that I am cured, but I am definately clearing. I would be interesting to know if you show improvement by trying the same: garlic and cranberry juice. I hope this helps.

It all started about a year and a half ago. It doesn't seem to ever go away. it is really wierd it only happens after a bowl movement. I usually have to wipe 6 times or more after my movement. I thought maybe I would try taking a shower after my movement. That doesn't seem to work. It's like a leeky faucett. Just recently I tryed smelling the wierd liquid to see if it was poo. I don't think its poo, it kind of has a fishy smell to it. It's bizzare, if I don't continue to wipe the strange smelling liquid it starts to burn and itch. And wiping only makes the itch worse. It is really embarasing when I am at work I have to use the restroom like 5 to 6 times to clear it. Help

I have the same condition .I'm not certain when it started but i've had it for 2-3 years now.I'm still hoping to find a solution. The person that ate the garlic and drank the cranberry juice-did that take care of the problem permanently?

Hi Roborg,

Thanks for the reply and advice. Strangely enough, I've started drinking Cranberry and Orange juice in the morning as well as some Cranberry snacks and I've tentatively started having garlic again (I'd stopped eating it as it had started to give me stomach cramps) to see if this helps.

I have been much better since I started on the Cranberry stuff / Garlic so it does seem to be having some beneficial effects. I've also reduced eating chocolate (I often used to buy some at lunchtime) so this may have helped too.

The leakage hasn't gone completely, but I am now much more comfortable and not had to make as many extra trips to the toilet after bowel movements.

Everyone who has commented may also find some useful help here too: poopreport.com/Doctor/Knowledgebase/leaky.html

I'll keep everyone posted on progress.

Many Thanks,
KJ

i was on birth control for awhile then i quite taking it but i always have irregular periods and the last few months since febuary i ben having them but then i had sex one time and it was real light then i had 2 normal periods, im irregular? now i sometimes have this discharge of a mucus, am i okay? i have pain in stomache sometimes?

ok so i looked on the internet for treatments cause apperently i have this as well, and i found that yougurt has some kind of anti yeast sometihng in it and kills off the yeast. I dont know if im going to use it because it requiers you to rub it on the infected area. %-) But i might try the garlic and cranberry solution to see if that works for me

good luck

Rob

I am a 24 year old male who is in pretty good shape and eat healthy. About a month ago, I had the same problem. Seemed like there was a leaky faucet. No matter what I did the problem persists. I do not engage in anal anything, but I thought that I might have Crohn's because it runs in my family.
After a week or so the fishy discharge wore out but I never knew what happened. I started taking B12 vitamins(multivitamin) and I never had the problem again. Hope it helps.

im 21 male and ive never had any anal activities, about 18 months ago i noticed the same thing and i still have it, i have like a white paste type thing leaking from my anus and it wont go away i have to visit the restroom every few hours to wipe, ive tried everything but it wont go away, im embarrassed to go doctors or to tell anyone does anyone have any answers atall as to what it could be? please email me thanks, ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I have similar problems. I recommend taking fiber pills. Fiber is not a cure, but they can help minimize the leakage by adding bulk and firmness to your feces (meaning less gets left behind on its way out). That advice is for those who leak feces after a bowel movement (I don't know about that white stuff, that's not my symptoms). I suggest fiber pills and not fiber cereal or other means because trying to increase fiber in your diet via food is too difficult, in my opinion.

I have had this problem for years too. If I have a bowel movement, I will appear clean after wiping, but once I start moving around, things stat to get irritated down there.

Before I started taking fiber pills with meals, my anus would be a real mess a half an hour later. Now with fiber, it's not so much a mess, but I still experience other problems. If I go for a long walk or run soon after a bowel movement, I will experience extreme irritation and burning and often a bloody anus. I'll get home and wipe and there will be a small amount of feces from leakage on the toilet paper but also some blood (not a lot, but not a little either). This condition can be exacerbated if I wipe with the rough toilet paper that my workplace uses in the bathroom. I now get really upset if I have to take a dump at work, because I know it means that the toilet paper will tear up my poor anus.

The only cure I've found is a temporary one. It is to take a shower about a half hour to hour after a bowel movement and to use a sensitive-skin soap like Dove to clean the anus. Even after a bloody anus, if I clean the area with soap, the irritation and burning will completely disappear in about a half hour.

I also sometimes have a problem with itchiness and dryness in the area around my anus...although this also comes and goes and is not always a symptom and not always related to the leakage.

It's frustrating because I'm not sure what is causing it either. I've always wondered if it was the 1-2 cups of coffee I drink every day, but I kicked the coffee habit for about a month and while my symptoms decreased, they didn't disappear. I still suspect that it something in the feces like bacteria or something. I find it strange that the symptoms persist even though fiber keeps me relatively clean after bowel movements. I bet everyone, even healthy people, leak a little after a bowel movement thanks to sweat and movement of the muscles while walking, running, etc. If anyone has ever smelled their girlfriends/boyfriends anus during sex, you know it's not always exactly clean back there, right? I remember tracks in my underwear as a kid but no accompanying irritation. So, there must be something else going on besides just loose feces.

One last thing I want to mention, I too think my symptoms started soon after taking antibiotic pills for another infection I had. Is it possible that these antibiotics killed off something healthy in my digestive system that now let's whatever is doing this to me roam free? Curse you! Curse you harmful bacteria or whatever you are! Die!

I would recommend seeing a colorectal surgeon. I had similar leakage for several hours after a bowel movement. It caused bad itching and annoyance. It turned out to be an unusually painless anal fissure, which was treated with a topical cream and supporsitory for 60 days. It seems to have been cured.

After reading Roborg's comments along with others I found my situation to be very much the same. About 10 years ago after taking an antibiotic, I had serious problems and I couldn't get a handle on it. I went to the doctor as many of you did with the same results so I began to think it was my diet and I made changes but it didn't help. Last week I spoke with my mother and she recommend I take Florajen, a Probiotic. I went to Epic and purchased Florastor on Monday evening. Within 24 hrs. I had 3 bowel movements with no issues. I am almost done with the pills and have been doing fine. I hope this helps you all.

I thought i posted this earlier but i am new to this site. Anyway, I had the same situation for over 10 years. Until my mother reccommended that i try Florajen a Probiotic. I went to Epic Pharmacy and purchased Florastor and as of Monday April 20th I've had multiple bowel movements with no issues.

I do not know if this will help but... I would recommend trying to do a colon cleanse and eating alot of fiberand probiotics if you choose to not do a colon cleanse. I have the same problem and it can be very embarrassing. I DID have a anal fissure though and I had to get surgery. So my situation might be different but it might help to clean your bowels and start fresh to see if the problem is just your body trying to respond to the extra waste sticking to the walls of your colon. I have to wait until my surgery is healed but so far fiber and probiotics help... and NO junk food. That is only poison!