I have a friend who complains all the time about pain and other problems. When I asked him what his diagnosis is, he told me it is keratitis. He said the main problem is corneal infection that causes extreme pain. I have never heard for such a problem so I would like you to tell me anything. I am especially interested is there some treatment for keratitis, could anything be helpful to my friend?

Keratitis is a term used to define a wide variety of corneal infections, irritations, and inflammations. Since each type of condition is unique, medical diagnosis and treatment is essential. Corneal ulcers are commonly caused by bacterial or fungal invasions following superficial corneal abrasions. Among the common infectious agents are staphyloccus, streptococcus, herpes, adenovirus, rubeola, rubella, mumps, etc. Not to be confused, there are some other causes such as trachoma, infectious mononucleosis, and pneumococcus, as well as vitamin A deficiency. Corneal ulcers may also follow trauma, may be associated with other eye infections and corneal disorders. Typical symptom of corneal infection includes extreme pain and photophobia, such as your friend experienced.
Treatment for keratitis is essential, even a delay of a few hours can affect the ultimate visual result. The causative factors must be determined through laboratory analysis of scrapings. Medical treatment such as medications varies according to the cause.