I am a little uneasy about running in the dark but see that many people do it. I even see people on/around town lake when its dark. Anyone have any tips or experiences? Should I just "suck it up" and hope I don't step in a hole and blow out my knee?

I would only run in familiar areas when dark. The lakes here have nice smooth asphalt surfaces so I have no qualms about running if I can't see well. Try to run in a well lit area if possible. For safety, wear some illuminite or other reflective clothing. If you're really worried about it, it may be worth a trip to the local track.

Like Mech said, try to run in a well-lit area. Maybe go out for a walk in the dark to get yourself used to the darkness. I think you'll be surprised at how much you'll be able to see in the dark.

Despite the fact that we live on an air base, many of our streets/running paths are so dark you can't see to put one foot in front of the other.

If you are running where there will be any traffic, you can buy a little flashing red light that clips to your shirt. They're about five bucks and sell them at pet stores and Michael's. They have six settings and we leave ours on "on" (not flashing). Makes us more visible at least.

I love running at night, but I hate running in the dark.

When I ran, I ran about 99% of the time in the dark, mostly in the wee hours of the morning. I stayed on familar well lit roads. I am fortunate to live in an area that has street lights on every road.

Another tip. Make sure that others can see you. Purchase a reflective vest to wear. It was one the best things I ever bought.

• Run on roads/trails that you've run on in the daytime. That way you'll at least have an idea of where the bumps are.
  • wear bright colors
  • AND wear something reflective. I wear an orange vest thingy with reflective striping + reflective ankle bands
  • wear a little blinkie flashing light/reflector
I don't do much night running, but that's my checklist when I do go out.

Lots of good suggestions for ya Dave. I'll add one more. If you haven't a qualm with the "dork" factor, buying a small head-lamp is a way to shed some light on the road ahead.
Also here's the best article on night/winter running you'll evah find

I really appreciate all the advice. Guess its time to drop a little more money on apparell and cool running gadgets!

I was so nervous about this, and really couldn't decide WHERE to run when the weather turned cold and it stayed dark later... but my worries are over! They made the "Greenway Corridor Bikeway" near my house... it's paved and it's got wood railing to seclude it, and it's lighted... pretty neat.

I just hope they've got something in mind for snow removal... I haven't run on it in anything but rain yet.