do you ever run your routes in the opposite direction? I have been doing to add a little variety lately and it is amazing how much more difficult the run seems running in a counter-clock wise direction compared to the clockwise direction.

I normally run counter-clockwise because the miles are marked that way. Sometimes I run clockwise just for variance.

the treadmill only goes in one direction, duh :umno:

are you saying you can't just turn around and run backwards??? :P

Since all of my routes (for the moment) are "out and back"....yes.

Right, right, right, repeat.....

I run clockwise so I am always looking at the cars coming out of the intersections to my right. If I run the opposite direction, the drivers are looking left and will not see me coming at them. Drivers very rarely look to the right before making a right hand turn into traffic. They will tend to pull out onto the sidewalk or far out in the intersection so they can see.

When you run counterclockwise you are always on the right side off the car and can be sure that the driver will not see you as they pull out onto the road. You have a much better chance when they are looking at least in your direction.

Sheldon

I had 5 or 6 different courses that I could run in either direction. Wasn't much for variety as it was for hillwork

I run on sidewalks so I don't have that problem, but when I am running in the street I always run against traffic.

It is worse if your on the sidewalk. You have to keep the cars on your right. If they are pulling out of an intersection or even a parking lot and you are on their right, they will not look and will pull out in front of you.
You have to stay on the left of the cars and to do that you must run counterclockwise.
Unless, like you said, you are running in the street, then you have to run against traffic.
Sheldon

Sheldon
Yes, sidewalks can be dangerous at times. However, I don't feel that they are as dangerous as you say. When I run on sidewalks, I'm always watching for those cars that may not see me. If there is one waiting to turn at a stop sign, I'll go behind the car for two reasons. 1. If they don't see me and go, I'm safe. 2. If they get a chance to go and I cause them to miss it, I don't want to be the source of their fustration and anger. If there is any chance that the car will be turning onto a road that I'm crossing, I'll slow down and wait.
I have run many miles and biked many miles on roads and sidewalks on or near a college campus between 5 and 6 in the evening. I have run them in the daylight. I have run them in darkness. I have run them when dry. I have run them with almost 7 or 8 inches of snow and ice. I have NEVER had an incident with a car or bicycle while running on or around campus. You can call me lucky if you want.
Back to the original question. I don't feel it being different too much on roads if I run it the opposite direction. I really notice it when I run or bike the trails. You turn around and do the trail the other way and it is a whole new experience.

I have 25 different routes. I have run all both directions. Sometimes if I want a harder or lighter work out I change directions. I live in a very hilly area so sometimes direction makes all of the difference.

Most of my routes are out and backs with small to large loops thrown in depending on how far we need to go.

I have a loop around town 3.55 miles that I run both ways. I also alter my start/finish too. I start from my house of the gym. I always have a faster time when I start/finish at the gym, not sure why though. :shrug:

No I don't. Most of my runs are on uphill loops so I always run them uphill.