What does it mean when I have a pain from the middle of my arch through the bottom of my foot on both feet when I run. I know it is because of my new asics , I just want to know if there is a feature here that is causing it and what to avoid.

i have no idea what the cause is, but i get this if i tie my shoes too tightly, no matter what pair im wearing.

the catch is not tying them too tight from the get go. i still have pain if i stop and loosen the laces.

My first thought is plantar fasciitis. If you do a search here or google, you can find out a lot real quick. I've been on that injury cycle too many times :( Is it while you run only or all the time? Is it worse in the morning? How does it respond to cold/icing or heat/bath? Do you have high or low arches? What kind of surfaces are you running on?

I'm kind of suspicious this is an early warning sign. You might have gotten 'bad' shoes for your footfall. Much of my own pf problems came from wearing motion control shoes for years that, in my belief, eventually 'motion-corrected'. Now I under-pronate and need cushioned shoes. Go figure.

I found that with the shoes the arch seemed to be in the wrong place for my foot and I had what may be similar pain. It felt like it was too far back (I think... it may have been forward, it's been a while) relative to my foot. I ran several hundred miles on them anyway with no problems (other than discomfort). I'm in no way recommending that, just relating experience. When I went to the Kayanos that problem wasn't there. I don't really know how to avoid it, as I remembered they felt great in the store. If you don't have many miles on them maybe try returning them or switch out the insoles.

...or switch out the insoles.
I do this with every single pair of running shoes I get. Those 'sock liner' insoles that come with running shoes are flimsy and good for nuthin'. For my high arches, depending on the 'volume' available in the shoe, I either use a Sof Sol Arch Plus which is full-length or a 3/4-length Dr Scholl Advantage Arch insole. They both fit my arches well and provide the arch support to make just about any running shoe feel comfy.

Hmm, lost my post.

Highlights:

1. I run on concrete sidewalks. My opportunity for anything else is limited.
2. The pain only happens when i run in those shoes, after about a quarter to a half mile. When i walk in them, it gets better and goes away when I get out of the shoes and rest for a moment.
3. I looked up plantar. That doesn't sound like what I've got. Different area of pain, nothing in the morning.
4. I don't think I have high arches. I've never done the wet test, though, to see for sure. I don't know anything about what sort of pronation I do.

It was better last night because I did something different with my laces. I never lace every single lace, I stop at the top lace instead of the last lace which is just past but slightly below the top lace. It reduced the pain to discomfort, and it wasn't until the end of the second mile that my right foot hurt like it usually does after 1 mile. My left foot only had a little discomfort. So, I think that if I get some insoles I have a good chance of being okay and not having to buy another pair of shoes I can't afford.

I know you say getting off the sidewalks is tough, but you really have to :| Cement is the devil's prescription for injury. I'm not sure exactly where you are but I know a few park systems on your side of Mpls might not be too far plus the bike trail network and river/lake trails must swing close by somehow. Even if it's just getting on asphalt instead of cement, that's an improvement :)

I'd really love to, but it's as much time as it is anything else. It's already dark out when I get home from work, and cold now. I just want to get my run in and get back home. We may be moving next fall, looking for a new apartment complex, and that might provide a better opportunity.